Loss of top end speed >

Loss of top end speed

Notices

Loss of top end speed

Old 05-29-2009, 12:56 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loss of top end speed

Last fall I put in a full tank of 89 octane and some stabilizer. I know that's probably not a good think for winter storage, but I did. This spring I changed fluids in the lower unit, engine, supercharger etc. I should mention I'm running a 454 MPI with a 7lb procharger, and inner cooler without a thermostat.
So this year I noticed my top end is about 10mph from last year, but the engine seems to run great. The old gas has been used and I'm on tank 3 of good gas. I did change the oil from Mercruiser 20w-40 to a 20w-50 full synthetic with a quart of Lucus oil. That is the only difference however. Any thoughts as to why my top end is gone. I went from an easy 65 with passengers to maybe 55 by myself on GPS.
I also created a forum local to my comunity but haven't had much luck getting people to pop in. If you were so kind as to post a reply there as well, you'd be doing me a great service.
www.premierboatingdirectory.com
Thanks,
Old 05-29-2009, 01:03 PM
Registered

SOUNDS LIKE YOU NEED TO RUN THE OIL YOU HAD IN IT WHEN IT WAS GOING FASTER IF THE OLD FORMULA WORKS DON'T CHANGE IT .
Old 05-29-2009, 03:25 PM
Registered

Change the fuel filters??
Old 05-29-2009, 03:34 PM
Registered

Um...nope. That is one thing I didn't change and probably should. THanks. ANy other thoughts?
Old 05-29-2009, 06:45 PM
Registered

we need more info. what rpms were you running before and what rpms now? Did you go from saltwater to freshwater? Did you damage your props? Did the boat sit uncovered and is full of water? etc.etc
Old 05-30-2009, 08:24 AM
Registered

The bottom of the boat could have developed a hook in it over the winter if stored improperly.
Old 05-30-2009, 11:04 AM
Registered

I'm curious to this as well. I'm in the same situation. My tach is off right now but with my one prop im still getting to the rev limiter same as last year just missing a few mph. What do you mean by improper storage?