Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
valve spring swap question plasic seal thingy >

valve spring swap question plasic seal thingy

Notices

valve spring swap question plasic seal thingy

Old 06-04-2009, 11:53 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

man, allot of self mechanic haters on here. the machine shop is machining my guides, its like 40 bucks, said i do not need a valve job for as low of hours as i have and said since there is no valve job as long as the valves go back to the same spot they came from i am good to go with assembling them myself. i need the seals and the spring spacers and thats it. said it would be safe to measure it but in this case there should be no reason why i shouldnt be able to get by.

i cant believe how many people are talking like i am some idiot that shouldnt be working on boats, i have been building my own motors since i was 16 years old, i just dont have much expericance with doing head work. there has been a 100 questions i have asked on forums that guys told me i cant do and after a little research which is the reason i posted on here in the first place i figured out how to do it myself. i am the type of person that would rather spend 500 on tools and learn how to do it then spend 100 to have someone do it for me, sorry that is just the way i am and now that i have figured out heads i can do them all myself. some of you have been a great help and i greatly appreciate it, i really do! and some of you have talked to me like i am a moron and i am gonna blow my motor up, those people make me want to find a different forum to go ask questions. i am not some guy that makes a ton of money so if i want nice stuff like a performance boat i have to build it myself sorry, having kids and a house payment kinda kills the budget for the boat. again thanks to all who have helped!

p.s. comp cams tech seems to be clueless and i seemed to be educating them on their own products?
Old 06-04-2009, 05:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"and now that i have figured out heads i can do them all myself. "

WOW...now thats a statement ! Sir..take a step back and relax. Your initial post sounded like a kid in high school working on getting his first girlfriends bra undone. Then, after getting reliable information from numerous guys on here, you procede to basically say that you dont wanna take the advice ? You go from saying you dont wanna go to a machine shop..then end up there. You say your working with Comp cams people..then say you know more than them about the topic. I'll step up to the plate and be the first to tell you, that in my opinion, anyone thats built and or worked on hundreds of motors (as you say you have), would know about head work, valve trains, and setting lash. You cant count changing a battery, alternator, or cap and rotor as being an engine builder. I myself like the guys who work on their own stuff..just like I do..but you need to LISTEN in order to get anywhere. I'm betting thats not the first time in your life youve been told that. I say..if you dont like the good, strong, reliable info your getting from this sight...adios. I have yet to meet, or hear from a member on here that doesnt like helping out the little guy/backyard mechanic.

Last edited by tinman565; 06-04-2009 at 08:06 PM.
Old 06-04-2009, 07:37 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Most everything these guys posted are just trying to help you and some good advice has been given...

If your installed height isn't set properly you might have coil bind with your new, bigger, camshaft. Then you'll drop a valve and that's gonna suck! After setting installed height, install springs and verify seat/open pressure and adjust accordingly.

The stock umbrella seals should be replaced, they're not good for perf. apps.

You can slap it together but if you wanna have it last I'd follow some of the advice posted.

good luck with your project! BTW, I'm a do it yourselfer as well.

Last edited by Panther; 06-04-2009 at 07:39 PM.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:01 PM
Registered

tinman i never said i have built hundreds of motors and when i said all heads i was reffering to my own heads. i asked questions, sure they may have sounded dumb but like i said i have neve done head work which is why i am asking quesions. like i said above the machine shop is doing the machine work for the seals only and i am putting them together myself as my machine shop told me i could with the recomended spring spacers. what else do you want me to do?? comp cams couldnt even tell me that any machine work needed to be done when i asked, they said they did not know which tells me that the guy working there is reading off of cue cards. i got on here for advice, i got it, some i will listen to and some i feel is overkill which was confirmed by the machine shop. please just dont post on this topic again unless you have something nice to say. panther i agree that most of the advice is good and i am listening to allot of it, like i said on here several imes i have never done major head overhalls in the past but there is a first time for everything and this wont be the last which is why i will teach myself how to do as much as possible so i can do it at home
Old 06-04-2009, 11:08 PM
Registered

p.s. billk gave the exact response i was looking for and thanks to the others that helped explain all of this to me, yea sure i sound like a retard but with a little more research i will know heads enough to take care of all except machining in the future. on another note i noticed i keep missing letters on my words, my wifes laptop sucks! sorry
Old 06-05-2009, 12:08 AM
Registered

for some odd reason some of te tings said on here keep bugging me, for the guys acting like i am not listening to the advice i want to know when i said that i was refusing machine work? the only thing i am opting out on is the valve job and possibly paying for assembly, which by the way i am thinking i am gonna order the things needed to do all proper mesurments. my biggest thing was after talking to comp cams i was under the impression that the list they gave me was complete and was a simple swap. i am sorry that i was more or less misinformed and i had questions..... its all clear to me now. ok i am done typing now
Old 06-05-2009, 06:30 AM
Registered

Location: Omaha, Nebraska. Boat on the Mighty Mo! Longest river in the USA!
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by regalman4925
p.s. billk gave the exact response i was looking for and thanks to the others that helped explain all of this to me, yea sure i sound like a retard but with a little more research i will know heads enough to take care of all except machining in the future. on another note i noticed i keep missing letters on my words, my wifes laptop sucks! sorry
Bill K is one of the best in the business.

Now get that think running and get out on the river.
Old 06-05-2009, 07:04 AM
Registered

lol i am trying! we are shooting to have it ready for the poker run but we will see, i still have my bowrider if it is not ready.
Old 06-05-2009, 08:18 AM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

What exhaust are you running? What cam are you using to require those springs? Have you modified the oiling system to accomidate the additional HP? Isky 8205 springs have a lot of tension, one of those pry bar compressors will not work. You will need to have the air tool that wraps aroud the head and compresses the spring. You will also need the height adjustment tool. If you do not put the teflon seals on correctly you will be tearing this all apart again when you start blowing oil out of the exhaust. Just trying to help you out.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:22 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Double check the seal and spring clearance. I ate a set of the teflons up and the metal clips ended up all over. And that was a machine shop FU!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.