Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
bravo lower unit housing swap-which tools? >

bravo lower unit housing swap-which tools?

Notices

bravo lower unit housing swap-which tools?

Old 06-04-2009, 11:57 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default bravo lower unit housing swap-which tools?

i need to swap a housing out on my lower unit so i need to order the tools, what tools are a must and what tools can i get by without? i was looking at a shimming tool and a carrier removal tool, they look like they are a must? what else do i need?
Old 06-04-2009, 07:48 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Off the top of my head you need Spanner nut tool, pinion depth tool, the plate that holds down the vertical shaft bearing so you can set the pinion depth and rolling pre-load. the vertical shaft bearing installation/removal tool. lower bearing race driver, upper bearing race driver and a bunch of shims. Also the lash gauge and tab to set the backlash and an inch. lbs torque wrench to set the rolling preload.

You can get away without the carrier removal tool...there's a trick of using your prop, putting some wood or metal behind the prop and tightening the propshaft nut. It will pull the carrier out of the case... It's hard to explain typing but I do it all the time.

I'd suggest getting a hold of a bravo manual, it has the instructions and the special tools needed for each step.

Last edited by Panther; 06-04-2009 at 07:50 PM.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:49 PM
Registered

my buddy has all the manuals so i am gonna bug him on those. the local marine shop says 600 to swap the internals, for 600 i will buy the tools and do it myself so i can do it for free next time. if the carrier pulls out like a omc i have a puller tool that will pop it right out. thanks for the reply!
Old 06-04-2009, 10:58 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

$600 seems way high.

Talk to Brett at PBC or Bill at Midwest Performance
Old 06-04-2009, 11:42 PM
Registered

midwest wants 300 which is much better. in my mind if i can spend that 300 and get the tools and do it myself i might choose that route? griff is your wife doing ok after the deal on the river? from where i was at it looked like a very close call.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:16 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good luck getting all of those tools for $300.
Old 06-05-2009, 07:02 AM
Registered

ebay some new some used.... even if it is more it is worth it to have
Old 06-05-2009, 09:23 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unless you’re going to be rebuilding lowers all the time. Let a good shop do it. I bought all the tools and rebuild mine every year, since I was breaking them all the time. The true cost for all quality tools new is probably 2K. Maybe under a grand if you search for used. The knowledge to do it properly is the most valuable part. The manual only tells you so much. The rest is experience.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:13 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by regalman4925
midwest wants 300 which is much better. in my mind if i can spend that 300 and get the tools and do it myself i might choose that route? griff is your wife doing ok after the deal on the river? from where i was at it looked like a very close call.
It was a very close call. She is doing fine. We were out the next weekend.

Bill at Midwest is very good and $300 sounds about right. Its about 2-3 hours labor.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:18 PM
Registered

i think what i am gonna do is buy the removal tools for now and then either have midwest do it or a friend of a friend has the tools that i can either use or pay him to do it. i will start buying the rest of the tools as i find them on ebay. i will get my money back out of them in a few years.

griff i gotta tell you, seeing that happen was a great reminder of what can happen when you combine speed, booze and water. glad to hear that she is ok.