Old Fuel Question ????????

Notices

Old 06-06-2009, 09:18 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Old Fuel Question ????????

Had 1000 gallons of 93 octane delv to shop in may /o8 used about 900 gallons in the SKATER over a few weekend .. The kidz decided to use some of the last 100 gallons in there dirt bikes yesterday with 2 cycle of course and the YZ 85 & KX 250 lasted only 5 mins .... Can it be the old fuel ??? the YZ piston shattered & 250 will tear open today but can crank it over by hand and compression is gone ... these bikes ran thru winter & spring flawless till this tank of fuel... will drain the 125,450,& 500 this morning before any one starts them .. Same gas ,different cans due to mix ratios ... did put stabil in the 93 tank before winter ... any idears ???
Old 06-06-2009, 09:35 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Usually on 2 strokes, a failure like that is due to lack of oil. I would be really surprised if that was caused by the fuel, but what do I know?
It is easy enough to just get rid of the fuel and not take a chance. Sorry dude, that sucks.
Eddie
Old 06-06-2009, 09:36 AM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

When I first looked at your post I thought, well that fuel is only a month old. Then I looked at the year. Dude, dump that fuel. I ruined the tops of my rod berrings in my boat a few years back. Most likley due to bad fuel. I was using E10 about 6 months old with stabilizer. Sorry about your bad luck, at least it was not in the boat. I have been told only to purchace the amount of fuel you will use in less than a month. Do some searches and you will find a lot of information posted hear. Give them a update when you find them and bring them back to the top. Maybe it will help someone else getting ready to make the same mistake.
Old 06-06-2009, 09:39 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You really hink that fuel would be that flat from that amount of time??
Old 06-06-2009, 09:40 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The problem is getting rid of that much fuel is going to take a permit of some kind. You can't just pull the plug.

Why didn't you run it through the cars all winter??
Old 06-06-2009, 09:45 AM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff1000man
You really hink that fuel would be that flat from that amount of time??
The fuel is 13 months old.
Old 06-06-2009, 09:56 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good quality fuel in a sealed barrel will last a year easy. if the barrel is open to atmosphere it will get stale in about 6 mos... but having said that, i think eddie is correct... it sounds like lack of oil. when the fuel gets stale it just doesn't want to burn... nothing that i know or understand would suggest that it would cause detonation or lack of lube in a 2 cycle...

the evidence SEEMS overwhelming that it was the fuel but if that's true, i can't think of any factual based reasoning to explain it...
Old 06-06-2009, 10:00 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi! I tried to run 7 or 8 month old gas in my lawn mower this year and had to drain it out and put fresh in. It was 93 and had stabil in it, no oil mix. Was running pretty rough and rpm wasn't right then it died out. I knew it was the fuel right away and drained it before it screwed it up. Put fresh premium in it fired up and was good right away! It seems like the premium stays a little better then the regular so I run it even in the lawnmower. lol Good luck Charlie
Old 06-06-2009, 10:47 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Young Performance
Usually on 2 strokes, a failure like that is due to lack of oil. I would be really surprised if that was caused by the fuel, but what do I know?
It is easy enough to just get rid of the fuel and not take a chance. Sorry dude, that sucks.
Eddie
Thanks Eddie they've burnt up plenty of motors on the wrong mix ratio but this one is wierd 2 motors in 5 mins and there thinkin if they went to the gas station for fresh 93 they'd be runnin today ... Im just glad they never pulled the SKATER up to the tank the last 2 weeks and helped me out and topped it off they should be able to burn thru it in the pick up and the lawnmower
Old 06-06-2009, 10:53 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by stevesxm
good quality fuel in a sealed barrel will last a year easy. if the barrel is open to atmosphere it will get stale in about 6 mos... but having said that, i think eddie is correct... it sounds like lack of oil. when the fuel gets stale it just doesn't want to burn... nothing that i know or understand would suggest that it would cause detonation or lack of lube in a 2 cycle...

the evidence SEEMS overwhelming that it was the fuel but if that's true, i can't think of any factual based reasoning to explain it...
Same fuel in 3 different cans mixed 32-1 ,42-1 , 50-1 the 250 there gonna take it apart after lunch and see what it looks like . no compression for kick start but they say they can pull start with a pick up sounds like they should dump it all and use it for weed killer on the driveway NO SMOKING !!!!!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.