Notices

Head bolts

Old 06-10-2009, 11:11 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head bolts

Hi... I have a 2000 7.4 Merc (Gen VI MPI) and I am installing a new set of heads.

I got a set of new ARP head bolts and my questions is this... the stock bolts that I pulled out did not have washers and the new bolt kit comes with washers... This may be a silly question but do I install with the washers or just leave them out? Not sure what the difference will be but I just want to get this right.

Any insite would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks.

Brian
Old 06-10-2009, 11:22 AM
Registered

Use the washers, also use the moly lube on the washer and shoulder of the bolt. Use thread sealer(liquid teflon) on the threads.
Old 06-10-2009, 02:53 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by RHM253
Use the washers, also use the moly lube on the washer and shoulder of the bolt. Use thread sealer(liquid teflon) on the threads.
Agree 100%..moly lube is a must to get accurate torque on the head bolts
Old 06-10-2009, 03:23 PM
Registered

If they are brand new ARP they usally come with a lubricant in the box. It's a moly based type lube. Contact ARP they will let you know, they are very proud of their reputation.
Old 06-10-2009, 04:13 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RHM253
I agree, make sure you use thread sealant all the bolts are exposed to water in the engine.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:52 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The washers have a chamfer on one side. The chamfer needs to be installed up. I DO NOT recommend the moly lube. I have done alot of testing in regards to moly verses oil. The moly actually changes the torque consistancy . Use the ARP thread sealant on the bolts to seal them. Use 30 wt engine oil on the washers.

Dean Gellner
Old 06-12-2009, 04:54 PM
PF Marine
Platinum Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mrhorsepower1
The washers have a chamfer on one side. The chamfer needs to be installed up. I DO NOT recommend the moly lube. I have done alot of testing in regards to moly verses oil. The moly actually changes the torque consistancy . Use the ARP thread sealant on the bolts to seal them. Use 30 wt engine oil on the washers.

Dean Gellner
Dick Maskins (Dart) doesn't like moly lube either.
Old 06-13-2009, 12:36 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mrhorsepower1

Dean Gellner
Is that so. I'll try 30wt next time, thanks for the info!
Erik
Old 06-15-2009, 02:59 PM
Registered

Thanks guys... I used Perfect Seal on the threads and used the oil on the bolt heads and the washers.

The ARP notes tell me to torque... leave it set for a few then loosen and retorque. I did this but what a pain in the ass!! Notes with the head gasket tell me I should torque again after running fot 20 hours. Guess I have some work to do this summer.

Anyway... thanks again.

B