need fuel pump advice and looking to buy a pump >

need fuel pump advice and looking to buy a pump

Notices

need fuel pump advice and looking to buy a pump

Old 06-12-2009, 12:34 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default need fuel pump advice and looking to buy a pump

i am building a mild gen vi 454, it has a 731 cam, air gap intake, gil manifolds, weber carb but plan to go to a holley next season and thunderbolt ignition. since i am running a gen 6 block i no longer have provisions for a fuel pump on the block. i need to find a pump to handle my setup, i have heard everything from a holley red to aeromotive. i just passed on a new holley blue for 95 shipped because i keep hearing that the holley blues burn up and are junk? i would like to run a mallory 140 but unless i find one dirt cheap or a good used one it is a bit out of my current price range. if someone has a used one for sale i would be intersted. i am not planning on doing anything crazy with the motor, at least nothing planned in the near future, i just want to get up and running as cheap as possible. thanks
Old 06-12-2009, 10:08 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What kind of sea pump are you running right now? Do you have one that has the fuel pump mount on it? If you have a pump like that you can just put a mech. pump right on that ..cheap and will easily handle you motor.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:45 PM
Registered

Holley red is no better then holley blue. Aeromotive is more then a mallory 140, so that is out. My holley blue lasted a couple of months, now I am running a mallory 140, is keeps up better then the blue did, but only time will tell. There are a lot of poeple that have run holley pumps with good results, just keep an eye on fuel pressure as saving money on a pump and burning a piston does not save money in the long run. I would not run a electric pump with out a fue ressure gauge, but that is me.
Old 06-13-2009, 12:22 AM
Registered

HOLLY BLACK PUMPS ARE THE BEST, I HAVE TWO RUNNING MY TO 511'S 875HP EACH NO PROBLEMS
Old 06-14-2009, 07:05 AM
Registered

Aeromotive SS aren't bad and can be found cheap at JEGs.
The Mallory 140 is probably the most reliable bang for buck.
the Holley Black is a great pump but hard to get for a good price unless someone paints a Holley Blue and passes it off!

Barry Grant makes a good pump (the 220 or 280) but again, hard to find cheap. If I were you? I'd try and find the Mallory 140, tried tested and true. (and most importantly cheap and easy to find!)

Good Luck!
Old 06-14-2009, 09:51 AM
Registered

Why r u going to use the "Thunderbolt ignition ?" Try the MSD much more bang for the buck. Parts are easier to find, and not outdated like the other. Don't get me wrong the Thunderbolt is a good ignition, kinda old technology....just my .02
Old 06-14-2009, 10:04 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 310DETAILNOW.COM
HOLLY BLACK PUMPS ARE THE BEST, I HAVE TWO RUNNING MY TO 511'S 875HP EACH NO PROBLEMS
Ditto, I've been running the same Holley Black pumps since 2004. No issues pushing 400 hrs.
Old 06-14-2009, 10:08 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by pocketchange22
Why r u going to use the "Thunderbolt ignition ?" Try the MSD much more bang for the buck. Parts are easier to find, and not outdated like the other. Don't get me wrong the Thunderbolt is a good ignition, kinda old technology....just my .02
I respectfully disagree with you on this. Been there done that with the MSD. -Just plain too unreliable for me, and when it does quit out on the lake, I've never found ANYONE who had even a distributor cap in stock. The TB-IV with a V6 module works perfect for this application.

-Just my .02
Old 06-15-2009, 07:17 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by pocketchange22

i actually bought a msd setup when i bought the engine and read so many bad stories that i sold it all. the thunderbolt ignition has nothing but good things said about it from what i have heard. there is a guy that has a boat at my marina that runs 125+ and he has 100 grand in his motors, i was surprised when i saw thunderbolt setups on his boat and he said they were very reliable and he was as mentioned above running v6 modules on his boat also. and as far as the msd being more bang for the buck, i had 300 in a used msd setup, i got my thunderbolt setup for free witht the parts stripped off of the old motor and were more or less free so as far as bang for the buck i have a cap and rotor invested in the thunderbolt with a good reputation verses a msd that costs much more and has a bad rep in the marine world. i heard the crane boxes were really nice if you can find them?
Old 06-15-2009, 09:01 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have beeen running a holley blue for 2 years now, works great...far better than MSD ignitions...MSD=may soon die

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.