Engine Help!! >

Engine Help!!

Notices

Engine Help!!

Old 06-12-2009, 07:07 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Engine Help!!

Alright all you OSO Guru's here is my Story... I Bought what I thought was a perfect 35 Fountain with twin 500 bulldogs and 250 B&M Blowers according to the Owner and records he had of boat........Well, had the boat out not even an hour with a few people never got above 3500rpm only to find that major engine problems happened. Well, he's kinda turning his back on the whole deal!!! had torn down the Port engine with Block had been tried to be spot welded where the bearing caps fit in block and major wear done. Also head shot and so far two piston cylinders damaged. SOOOO my question to you guys are do I pin the bearing caps and then line bore and sleeve the cylinders OR do I go long block and be done with it. I really probably need to look then at the Starboard motor as well. Is pinning a block reliable... remember I have the blowers!!!!!! Man I'm just SICK right now. Thanks for all help......
Old 06-13-2009, 03:07 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink Lets get Smarter!

Sorry for your loss and trouble. This does not have to happen in our sport! It is mostly preventable!
I just wanted to say that this is the reason I firmly believe that:
1. Proper Engine surveys are neccessary on used performance engines and boats.
2. If engine have been previously rebuilt or reworked by seller, then a complete list of work and receipts is a must for a starting place and the location of all machine work and who did the work (supported by reciepts) is mandatory!
3. Get a written signed statement from the seller if he makes claims about fitness and correctness of engines and drives! A warranty only need be verified to make it enforceable in a court if need be!
4. Would all or most of the ASS****"s who "mickeymouse" boats and engines to get them sold please drop out of our sport and go back under the slimey rock you crawled out from under!!

As an expierenced engine builder and re-builder I can say that this not need happen and should not be happening so frequently to buyers in our sport!

In you case I would reccommend not trying to fix that block any furthur, bite the bullet and get a good core or new block and use quality parts, a real marine performance engine expert and get the boat back on the water so you can enjoy the season if possible.

I guess the old saying still holds water, "Buyer Beware"
Remember a real deal will always be a good deal!

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 06-13-2009, 06:58 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine help

Thanks Ray, I really learned my lesson the hard way..... I am getting a new Dart Block and all high end components to put it back to perfection and realiable.. I know one thing the next guy who ever buys this from me can sleep peacefully at nights because it will be a carefree machine. It is sad that there are so many half ass builders and boaters that don't have a clue..... It's American to take care of one another especially in our Boating world and not screw the next guy attitude... Thanks again for the reply... Happy Boating

Speed
Old 06-14-2009, 09:17 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would not mess with the block....I have a cherry GM gen IV std block if you want to go that route..Rob