Notices

Merc 575 info / opinion

Old 11-18-2009, 12:27 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 224 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Bad Girl
JT
Did Dean finish your motors? Would you share what he did and what results you haave with the new setup? thanks

Yes.

I had him put together a couple of sets of
dart iron eagle heads ( 308's), sent me the HR cams,
lifters and timing chains he uses for his combo,
and had him reflash the ECM's, I refreshed the bottom
end.

They run AWESOME

Gone are the 575 quirky operating habits

Ran it @ LOTO shootout again this year
went from running 85 in the past to 92.....would have
ran a bit faster the next day ( the conditions were
better) but a drive broke.

On ideal conditions it appears that it's about
5 mph faster than previous.

I wanted it to run 95, got 94.2 out of it, I know
it has 95 in it with better conditions.

The Gellners were a pleasure to work with,
give Dean a call.

Here's their # 216-398-8500
Old 11-18-2009, 11:24 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Downward spiral

The 575 is great in stock form...I can even live with the initial fast idle. I like the classic look of the Roots blower and Faux carbs. As mentioned earlier, the stock head gaskets are crap and the blower bearings will eventually fail...even with good maintenance. ADD POWER AND GET READY TO SPEND $$$.

I had a blower bearing fail at WOT which resulted in a bent rotor and the rotors hitting the case. I was lucky enough to find another very slightly used blower for cheap which I am currently running.

Rite now I am running a .010" thinner head gaskets, 3.5" pulley and a 120* stat. With half tanks of fuel hit 96 on GPS on the limiter in very sticky water. In some light chop into the wind I am confident it would have went faster. Anyway pretty respectable for single engine mostly stock cat.

I recently picked up a Littlefied 871 and whipple intercooler to replace the 256 wieand. $$$ Now I need to find another hatch or modify the one I have to accommodate the 871 $$$ Now my cockpit cover also has to be modified $$$ Now to do it right I should really have the ecm remapped $$$. Well hell, if I am going to do that I should ditch the cam (that is prone to loosing lobes) and go with a nice Hyd. roller $$$. Well, the motor is out of the boat so I should go through the heads $$$...screw that I will just replace them with some new aluminum heads $$$. Since I have got it down this far the CR could stand to be bumped up from 7.5 to 8.5 with some new JE pistons $$$. Now were cookin! Now the throttle bodies need work to flow enough to feed this pig $$$ And while I am looking at the fuel system the stock fuel pump should be replaced with and aeromotive $$$ Now I am making gobs of torque and 850 hp!

Crap, I just broke my XR $$$$$$$$$$

Last edited by JRider; 11-19-2009 at 05:52 PM.
Old 11-19-2009, 03:47 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

$$$$$$$$$$$$

Last edited by JRider; 11-19-2009 at 05:54 PM.
Old 11-19-2009, 09:58 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JRider
The 575 is great in stock form...I can even live with the initial fast idle. I like the classic look of the Roots blower and Faux carbs. As mentioned earlier, the stock head gaskets are crap and the blower bearings will eventually fail...even with good maintenance. ADD POWER AND GET READY TO SPEND $$$.

I had a blower bearing fail at WOT which resulted in a bent rotor and the rotors hitting the case. I was lucky enough to find another very slightly used blower for cheap which I am currently running.

Rite now I am running a .010" thinner head gaskets, 3.5" pulley and a 120* stat. With half tanks of fuel hit 96 on GPS on the limiter in very sticky water. In some light chop into the wind I am confident it would have went faster. Anyway pretty respectable for single engine mostly stock cat.

I recently picked up a Littlefied 871 and whipple intercooler to replace the 256 wieand. $$$ Now I need to find another hatch or modify the one I have to accommodate the 871 $$$ Now my cockpit cover also has to be modified $$$ Now to do it right I should really have the ecm remapped $$$. Well hell, if I am going to do that I should ditch the cam (that is prone to loosing lobes) and go with a nice Hyd. roller $$$. Well, the motor is out of the boat so I should go through the heads $$$...screw that I will just replace them with some new aluminum heads $$$. Since I have got it down this far the CR could stand to be bumped up from 7.5 to 8.5 with some new JE pistons $$$. Now were cookin! Now the throttle bodies need work to flow enough to feed this pig $$$ And while I am looking at the fuel system the stock fuel pump should be replaced with and aeromotive $$$ Now I am making gobs of torque and 850 hp!

Crap, I just broke my XR $$$$$$$$$$

LMAO ... that is it exactly ... and why we all love it ...
Old 11-20-2009, 09:48 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

I love fixing drives.......just not my own
Old 11-25-2009, 07:30 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

This is great thread on the 575sci. Sounds like most of the problems are related to the blowers. I'm hoping to find an engine builder here in FL that can help like Vinny P, JT or D. Gellner have. I like to use an engine builder who is local, and that I can drag my boat to for tuning/ work.

JT,
So you did the conversion from flat tappet, HR cam? What are the benefits in your opinion?
Thanks,
Dean
Old 11-25-2009, 08:00 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great info..I just bought a boat with the 575's with 40 hours on them...not going to do much for the first year or so...I was looking at Whipple's up grade with intercooler and ecm remap...has anyone done this?
Old 11-25-2009, 08:41 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Originally Posted by boatman22
Great info..I just bought a boat with the 575's with 40 hours on them...not going to do much for the first year or so...I was looking at Whipple's up grade with intercooler and ecm remap...has anyone done this?
Congrats on your new boat, is it the Faja 40 outlaw? Yeah the more I read here on OSO, the better I'm feeling about possibly buying this boat with the 575sci in it.

BTW,
JT, I don't think I will have to add scoops if I add the chillers.

Dean
Old 11-25-2009, 09:02 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Dean Ferry
JT,
So you did the conversion from flat tappet, HR cam? What are the benefits in your opinion?
Thanks,
Dean

I'd say it's where a majority of the
power increase comes from.
Old 11-25-2009, 09:51 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

What would everyone recommend if the motors in the boat I'm looking @ have ~350 hrs on them, be done to them. All I know is they are running well right now, but the future........
Thanks,
Dean

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.