Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
oil cooling, at what point do you need to go bigger? >

oil cooling, at what point do you need to go bigger?

Notices

oil cooling, at what point do you need to go bigger?

Old 06-19-2009, 07:59 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

i got a 2x18 oil cooler last night from a friend but now i think i need a oil thermostat, sounds easy but i do not know anything about them.... without treating me like a idiot can someone help me out on this? i understand the concept i am just unsure how it all bolts together right now. i think i am going to use the old combo cooler for p.s. only also and block off the oil portion on it
Old 06-21-2009, 09:34 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stevesxm
you are correct. look at smittys thread on oil system hardware. the stock plumbing on a gen 6 502 is , essentially 3/8 inside dia , with JIC type ends. no big deal and it works fine at 415 hp. i would suggest it would work equally well at 450 even tho smitty would like to see slightly larger fittings and slightly bigger inside diameters...and what he suggests can't hurt. either way... the answer to your question is the oil temp gage. you need to be able to run WOT for an extended period and see the oil temp stay at between 220 to 260. if it never stops climbing, then the cooler is too small. if it never gets to 220, then its too big and just get yourself a thermostat which is a good idea anyway.
You need to install an oil temperature gage and then run the extended WOT oil temperature (oil temp before oil cooler) test that Stevesxm suggests. Usually 5 -6 min of WOT will do it. Also monitour the oil pressure. That is the only reliable way to decide what is or is not needed. Anything else is just a guess. Believe me.
Old 06-21-2009, 10:39 AM
Registered

with the 2x18 cooler i already know i am oversized so at this point i am gonna have to have a thermostat anyway i look at it. the engine is not in the boat right now or i would go run her out and see what happens.
Old 06-21-2009, 10:44 AM
Registered

can aone confirm if this is the one i want?

http://summitracing.com/parts/PRM-1070/

is this one already set for the correct temp or is it like a water thermostat and able to adjust it?

also how do i plumb it? i know that it is suppode to bypass the cooler right?
Old 06-21-2009, 11:28 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by regalman4925
can aone confirm if this is the one i want?

http://summitracing.com/parts/PRM-1070/

is this one already set for the correct temp or is it like a water thermostat and able to adjust it?

also how do i plumb it? i know that it is suppode to bypass the cooler right?
This describes the operation requirements of a marine engine oil cooler:http://www.hardin-marine.com/detail~ID~863.aspx

Contact Summit with your questions about the operation of their thermostat. It may be set for a different temperature for car than marine.
Old 06-21-2009, 03:13 PM
Registered

thats look like it is a all in one unit....

heres a flow diagram

http://www.cpperformance.com/detail.aspx?ID=1036

as far as the perma cool one i have read that they work exactly the same as the expensive one?