wont shift into reverse >

wont shift into reverse

Notices

wont shift into reverse

Old 06-19-2009, 04:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wont shift into reverse

hey guys i got a used shifter from one of my neighbors and it is the same exact thing as i had. a quicksilver top mount. i installed it today using my same cables and it wont shift into reverse. doesn't engage it, it just throttles up. any ideas thanks
Old 06-19-2009, 06:41 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

I just adjusted my friends Bravo 3, his would not go into reverse. Do a search on this site. There are a couple of good post that will lead you in the right direction. All I had to do was adjust the shift cable. Since you replaced your throtle you may have somthing else wrong.
Old 06-20-2009, 11:01 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jbrown8988
hey guys i got a used shifter from one of my neighbors and it is the same exact thing as i had. a quicksilver top mount. i installed it today using my same cables and it wont shift into reverse. doesn't engage it, it just throttles up. any ideas thanks

Hey, another CNY guy! I know nothing about your question though, sorry.
Old 06-21-2009, 04:40 PM
Registered

sorry guys its an alpha 1. and i looked at it today and i know it has to be an adjustment but how do i do it? is there a way to adjust so there is more cable or an adjustment on the shifter? thanks!

hey whats up fellow CNY'er I'll be out there soon! (hopefully)
Old 06-22-2009, 06:16 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get a copy of the service manual and follow the directions to the letter. if you are going to try to outsmart the proper precedure on an alpha it may never shift. also if you do it exactly right and the unit is worn inside, you may never get it to shift properly without disassembly. but that is always a last resort. I've adjusted thousands of these. read the book!
Old 06-22-2009, 02:53 PM
Registered

where do i get the book? i've looked for the books cant seem to find one.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:11 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

There will be a barrel adjuster that is held in place with cotter pin. Remove the pin and turn the barrel 1 turn forward and then test. Keep doing this until you have reverse. This is a very touchy adjustment. I about pulled out the hair on my head trying to figure this out about a month ago. Once I did it was easy. Note that you may need to fine tune it again once the boat is in the water. by the way, the adjuster is on left side (facing engine)of the riser elbow. good luck..
Old 06-22-2009, 10:24 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Jbrown8988
this may be a dumb question but why did you change the control to begin with. if the lower cable (from the interupter to the outdrive) is bad there wont be enough "throw" to get it to shift into both gears..... just sayin

good luck and be safe
bobbo
Old 06-22-2009, 10:44 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by bobbowobbo
this may be a dumb question but why did you change the control to begin with. if the lower cable (from the interupter to the outdrive) is bad there wont be enough "throw" to get it to shift into both gears..... just sayin

good luck and be safe
bobbo
cables stretch, I just had to re adjust my 20 year old formula cable. It happens. If you ride a bike, think of how much you need to adjust your cables (all the time). If your a sailor, how often do you need to tune your rig (few times a season). How often to power boaters adjust there shift cables, not until is doesn't work. Its just the nature of the beast!
Old 06-23-2009, 09:00 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by bobbowobbo

good luck and be safe
bobbo
because the button on the side to put the control in the throttle position wouldn't work. I found the same shifter as the one that was in it so i wouldn't have this problem but apparently i was wrong! I got pissed today and sent it to the marina to get adjusted.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.