Notices

496 mods

Old 06-22-2009, 07:53 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts
Default 496 mods

I have a 496 truck engine I'm converting over to a marine engine. One of the things that has to go is the cam. Has anyone used any of Comp Cams 496 cams? If so what would the largest cam that you think I could use in a mostly stock set up..... I'm not interested in the Raylar stuff... It looks nice but just way to pricey. As for the heads I'm thinking about having larger valves installed, port matching, roller rockers and maybe a few other things. Other than that I'm leaving the engine stock. I'm also thinking about having the pcm reprogramed. What opinions are out there on this. Also what ever happened to the HP3. Its all GM could talk about around '03.
Old 06-22-2009, 08:01 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

If you have an HP3 cam, you will need valve reliefs in the pistons not stock flat tops. I have two Comp cams HP3 cams on a shelf in my garage. If you want to see cam cards PM me. Also, you need better push rods and rockers to deal with the lift. I dont know the valve covers the truck engine has but on the marine type, you need to have the lock nuts for the rockers machined down because the valve covers are too low.
Old 06-22-2009, 11:02 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have intiment knowledge of the HP3 and all the history and subsequent HP3 Gen II and Gen III variations. What do you want and what do you want to spend. Believe me when I say it is not a free ride to get to the posted 525hp @5300 rpm. PS I still have a fully port matched and polished stock 496 intake manifold opened for a 80 mm throttle body. I will tell you the unvarnished details for this set up.

Last edited by Rage; 06-22-2009 at 11:19 PM.
Old 06-22-2009, 11:09 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Keith Atlanta
If you have an HP3 cam, you will need valve reliefs in the pistons not stock flat tops. I have two Comp cams HP3 cams on a shelf in my garage. If you want to see cam cards PM me. Also, you need better push rods and rockers to deal with the lift. I dont know the valve covers the truck engine has but on the marine type, you need to have the lock nuts for the rockers machined down because the valve covers are too low.
The original HP3 Gen I cams were Crane not Comp Cam. What HP3 Comp Cam part numbers do you have?
Old 06-22-2009, 11:31 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

Comp Cams is one of the cams I was looking at. Keith pointed me to the Crane which is much bigger than the comp cam. I am interested in what I need to do to take this to the 525 or even 500 hp range. Sounds like you may be the person I need to talk to.
Old 06-28-2009, 11:59 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by endeavour32
Comp Cams is one of the cams I was looking at. Keith pointed me to the Crane which is much bigger than the comp cam. I am interested in what I need to do to take this to the 525 or even 500 hp range. Sounds like you may be the person I need to talk to.
I'll PM you.