Winter Storage >

Winter Storage

Notices

Winter Storage

Old 06-23-2009, 10:03 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter Storage

Can anyone give me ideas for the winter season. I need to know what would be the best way for fuel storage in the fuel tank.. i was told to fill the tank up fully to eliminate condensation and also put fuel stablizer to keep the fuel fresh. Does anyone think this is best. Not looking to store yet but just want to be prepared..

Thanks
Old 06-23-2009, 10:37 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

A full tank of fuel and the CORRECT amount of Sta-bil - you will be good to go.
Old 06-23-2009, 11:33 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

If you are running any ethanol, then run the tank low and add stabil.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:30 AM
Registered

Winter storage!! No need to even think about that yet its SUMMER!!
But yes full tank and stab or I use product made by Star Brite in a bluish green bottle emzine addtive.
Erik
Old 06-24-2009, 01:28 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by frantic
Can anyone give me ideas for the winter season. I need to know what would be the best way for fuel storage in the fuel tank.. i was told to fill the tank up fully to eliminate condensation and also put fuel stablizer to keep the fuel fresh. Does anyone think this is best. Not looking to store yet but just want to be prepared..

Thanks
If you have e10 in the tank make sure you use a NON-alcohol fuel stabilizer and run the mix through the engine so that the entire delivery system gets treated.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:51 PM
Registered

Thanks to all you guys. Hey CRAPR6 you mean the star tron additive. I heard that stuff is really good. But does it also work as a fuel stabilizer.

Thanks,
Old 06-24-2009, 02:20 PM
Registered

Received 324 Likes on 126 Posts

I completely disagree with the "filling the tank" DON'T DO IT!!!!

Cost me 2 complete weekends cleaning up the mess from the expansion of the gas (once it started to heat up outsde) running down the side of the boat from the overflow fitting.

I ended up having to clean, buff out the stain, and rewax the boat. (of couse once you do the infected area it ends up looking so good, you end up doing the whole boat.)

It would be much easier to just put in a reasonable amount of fuel (1/2 to 3/4 tank) then if you really feel it necessary add the stabil. Personally mine holds 300 gallons so it is going to take a LONG time for all that fuel to go bad.

If you are really paranoid, add AV gas to the last tank of the year, If I remember correctly there is like a 2 year shelf life to that stuff...
Old 06-24-2009, 06:33 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by frantic
Thanks to all you guys. Hey CRAPR6 you mean the star tron additive. I heard that stuff is really good. But does it also work as a fuel stabilizer.

Thanks,
Yes that is the stuff!!!!! I have used it and another guy that works at west marine. He has used it for 2 years now and never once had an issue with E10, or winter storage. Its great stuff and I have an old boat and have no idea the condition of the tank in the boat and was worried about E10 fuel so I have been using the addtive on every fill up! My boat runs 100%!!!!
Erik

Here is a link..you have to read what they claim this additive does..
http://www.starbrite.com/sproductdetail.cfm?ID=1537

Last edited by crapr6; 06-24-2009 at 06:35 PM.
Old 06-24-2009, 07:49 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Run the tank empty for storage. Fill as needed in the spring, only pump in the amount of fuel that will be used in a couple of weeks.
Old 06-24-2009, 08:06 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Seems to be an even split on the empty or full opinion. I always store very low and add stabil or seafoam and I've never had a problem. My logic is I'd rather run fresh fuel in the spring.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.