need help 6.2 merc >

need help 6.2 merc

Notices

need help 6.2 merc

Old 06-24-2009, 05:57 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help 6.2 merc

how do u set timing on this motor has a crank trigger and dont wana be wrong i kno ther is a wiring procedure cutout to take care of this thanks ...Brent
Old 06-24-2009, 06:15 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by FOUNTAINBOY27
how do u set timing on this motor has a crank trigger and dont wana be wrong i kno ther is a wiring procedure cutout to take care of this thanks ...Brent
May I ask why you want to set the timing, Normaly you don't need to set it, And really you dont set them you just need to get it with in a certin range by pulling the cap off and lining up a few marks.
Old 06-24-2009, 06:24 PM
Registered

i just installed a new motor for a friend and like u said its close on the balancer but it wont move while moving the dist i new there was something about a wire to remove and ground
Old 06-24-2009, 06:29 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by FOUNTAINBOY27
i just installed a new motor for a friend and like u said its close on the balancer but it wont move while moving the dist i new there was something about a wire to remove and ground
you do not use or need a timing light on this style engine with the crank/ cam sensor now. Do you have a manual from merc on this engine?
Old 06-24-2009, 07:27 PM
Registered

i dont have a manuel i mean its a pretty simple motor but the marks i wanted to match up at 0 and then set it wher it needed to be id say with it runnin now it is 8 to 10 degrees before and i didnt no if the compputer would relearn where it was or not from before or driving style starts and runs fine
Old 06-25-2009, 07:56 AM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

For what it's worth, I have 6.2's in my 2006 292 and the MerCruiser manual says the timing is not adjustable.