HELP!!!! What are these???? >

HELP!!!! What are these????

Notices

HELP!!!! What are these????

Old 07-02-2009, 12:30 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HELP!!!! What are these????

Ok so I have an 85 Chris Chraft Chris Cat with SSM II's. One of my steering rams started to leak, took it to a hydraulic shop to see if it could be fixed... Well now it leaks even worse! Can anyone tell me who makes this ram and if they are even still made or if there is a direct replacment for it.

Oh and this is not my boat pictured but its the same set up as I have.

Old 07-02-2009, 03:02 PM
RIPSTA Racing Team
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try to get us a better pic of the ram itself. Can't really see it in that pic. It's strange that it's painted black. They are usually S/S. What did the hyd. shop say or do? It should have been a simple fix. Their not that complicated a cylnder to rebuild. The paint might be covering some markings. There could be some scratches in the cylnder or on the piston rod that happens sometimes in which it would need to be replaced. You can pick them up sometimes here or on ebay for a couple hundred buck each. I'm not sure if Mercruiser offered an external steering set up from the factory back then with the TRS/SSMII. I'm guessing that someone added them aftermarket.
Old 07-02-2009, 03:38 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They looks like Mercury's. I had a set of these for about 6 yrs. They worked pretty well. They should be able to be rebuilt.