importance of power steering cooler??? >

importance of power steering cooler???

Notices

importance of power steering cooler???

Old 10-10-2014, 11:20 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Have to add just went back re read the post yep says 500 F degrees how I am taking it. Has anyone ever work on a marine engine after shut down or while running the engine and having the engine and or the compartment temps at 500 degrees. Hmmm that would mean going to the burn center for 3 degree burns all over your body.
Old 10-10-2014, 11:30 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

im not saying that the person that said 500 deg engine space is full of chit but i will say he is very wrong.200 max maybe,500,not a chance!
Old 10-11-2014, 12:17 AM
BUP
Banned

Well I will say it is so far and wayyyyy off base. The engine would never run nor restart with 500 F temps holding for any length of time in a engine compartment.

next here is the jist and there is more from Merc and Volvo and OMC and Yamaha thru out the past years about engine compartment temps, vapor lock, carbs sucking down heated air and so on. .

Anyways here is Merc SB and Merc came out with more SB's in 97. 99 and 2001 about temps, engine compartment temps, fuel temps and vapor lock issues. I can not post the links from the OEM's but found this to post. It is 100 % the same SB's I get from the OEM thru out the years.

Like I said came out years ago (1995) to all Merc dealers and all boat builders.

Link below read it.

www.boatfix.com/merc/bullet/95/95_12.PDF
Old 10-13-2014, 02:03 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by Borgie
Griff,

For others here whom might call this practice unsafe, please post what you are using for ps oil. BTW, I like it! Good to see I'm not crazy lol.
I'm running Dex 3 ATF. Don't even remember what brand I got.
First time I changed or even added to it was a couple years ago. That was only because I had a small leak at the connection to the high pressure side of the PS pump.
Old 10-13-2014, 10:30 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

500 degrees? 600 Degrees? Gasoline ignites at 495 degrees F with no spark or flame
Old 10-13-2014, 12:27 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And I believe paper at Fahrenheit 451, lol.
Old 10-13-2014, 12:54 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...#ixzz3FxvVmJoi

We talked with Tom Lee of Lee Manufacturing who builds racing power steering boxes, and pumps and he prefers the fluid temperature at 180 degrees F, but he also says anything below 250 degrees F is acceptable. What will kill pumps is temperatures exceeding 300 degrees F. Another idea that helps control temperature is to replace the late-model, plastic power steering pump reservoirs with a remote reservoir. Remote reservoirs help reduce heat by reducing the aeration in the oil. We’ve also considered the idea of converting engine radiator automatic transmission cooler fittings to cool the power steering fluid.

Read more: http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...#ixzz3G35OGOAG
Old 10-13-2014, 03:30 PM
BUP
Banned

The marine OEM's using stock steering set up will always use a pwr steering cooler for a couple of reasons. Maintaining lower fluid temps help the pwr steering fluid from oxidation due to heat.

Bad or worn out fluid is bad for steering actuator & the pump and high fluid temps also causes steering fade. The main concern with the marine set up is pressures and maintaining them correctly & constant within the system. Mercruiser and Volvo and other Marine OEM's have their testing procedures and values listed as far as pressures.

Using Merc as an example - they sell a pwr steering test gauge kit. Not to go into a story book here about it. The jist is pressure values are - high pressure 1150 to 1250 psi with the test gauge hooked up and low pressure 70 to 125 psi with test gauge hooked correctly. Keeping the fluid at a constant lower temp also helps maintaining these pressure within the power steering set up. That's basically the jist among other reasons.

Fluid oxidation and condensation from wide range heating and cooling cycles is other reasons to help avoid hence the pwr steering cooler inwhich will add longer life of the fluid, seals, pump and the steering actuator (DHB) in marine apps. Again its about maintaining the correct pressures within the complete steering system as well.

Last edited by BUP; 10-13-2014 at 03:34 PM.
Old 10-13-2014, 06:03 PM
Registered

Received 4,286 Likes on 1,237 Posts

Instead of steering coolers I`d rather have Mercury include Drive fluid coolers.
Throwing water on the outside of the drive to cool the oil inside via a drive shower seems like caveman technology to me.
Old 10-13-2014, 06:07 PM
Registered

Received 4,286 Likes on 1,237 Posts

Originally Posted by Pliant
. Another idea that helps control temperature is to replace the late-model, plastic power steering pump reservoirs with a remote reservoir. Remote reservoirs help reduce heat by reducing the aeration in the oil.

My "rocket" PS resevoir

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.