Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
stereo speakers >

stereo speakers

Notices

stereo speakers

Old 07-08-2009, 08:42 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put Polk speakers in my Fountain, great upgrade and sound really good. Getting ready to buy 3 sets for my Formula. Polk makes a very nice speaker for the money.
I also have a pair of Polk SDA's I've had at home for 20 years, old school, but love em. They're huge, they each have 8-6" mid drivers, 4 dome tweeters, and 12" base.
I'm also looking at Polk's 5 channel amp but have no experience with them...mmm
Old 07-08-2009, 09:28 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Polks!!!

Polks are great sounding and are actually marine speakers. they have plastic molded grilles. Avoid anything with mesh steel grills or any that are not thru screwed!
Old 07-09-2009, 01:57 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by BDiggity
what is the cutout size of the dc golds? you may just have to enlargen the holes a little bit.
Cut out size for the 7's is about 6.25"
http://www.dcgoldaudio.com/1837827.html

If your current 8" holes are too big, you could just get some 1/4" plates made to put behind them.

You may also want to check out Diamond Audio. They make great speakers as well.

Last edited by Griff; 07-09-2009 at 01:59 AM.
Old 07-09-2009, 01:30 PM
Registered

Thanks for all the advice!!! DC's are a bit more than want to spend and the odd sizes worry me on fitment. Polks are a little more in my price range and standard sizes.
Bazooka's have an attractive price and I see several boats with them but price is about the same as the Pioneer's I have now and don't know if they would indeed be a "upgrade".
What do you think??
Old 07-09-2009, 01:32 PM
Registered

Oh... by the way Griff thanks for the info and I have the shifters mounted and been running. They work fine.
Thanks
Old 07-10-2009, 02:18 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by team Tickfaw
Oh... by the way Griff thanks for the info and I have the shifters mounted and been running. They work fine.
Thanks
Great doing business with you.
Old 07-10-2009, 02:34 AM
Registered

FWIW, I just added 4 component speakers (woofer with seperate tweeters and crossovers) in the cockpit and they are very nice; Kicker KM625.2 6” They are marine speakers, too. $152.97 per pair from Amazon.com (they are an authorized dealer and I have Amazon Prime). It's only the beginning of my system, but a nice beginning without too much expense.

(http://www.amazon.com/Kicker-06KM625...3803086&sr=8-1)
Old 07-10-2009, 11:37 PM
Registered

O.K. This is what I done today. Went looking for some Polks, did not find anything in stock so I wound up with Memphis Marine. I purchased a pair of 8" and a pair of 6 1/2". They both are component speakers with seperate tweeters but tweeters are mounted in the speaker on a swivel base. You can angle the tweeter where you want. They come with the cross overs also. Reasonably priced I thought at 139 for the 6 1/2" and 159 for the 8". If they sound better than the Pioneer's I will swap them all. Let y'all know something Monday. Thaks all for the help.
Old 07-11-2009, 12:04 AM
Registered

I'm a little late, but for future reference, www.wetsounds.com. I'm a dealer for them and have sold many sets of the XS-650's to powerboat owners locally. The coax's are very loud, and clean as a whistle. You have to hear them to believe it.
Old 07-15-2009, 07:26 PM
Registered

UPDATE... So I started this by just buying a few speakers to upgrade the sound. As any good boater I went alittle further.
Removed my four 8" Pioneer's and two -6 1/2" Pioneers and replaced them with Memphis Marine true co-axial speakers (cross over on each speaker) with 1" swivel tweeters. Sounded great. Alot of difference without changing anything. Had stereo shop build spacers/adapters for the Memphis speakers to fit in the Pioneer hole cutouts. (Pioneers 1/4" larger cutout).
Needed to change Sony dash remote also (130.00) so the wife says just just put some money with it and get that cool Kenwood KMR 700U reciever that is waterproof and face drops down to reveal a "glove box" that has a USB port and a I-Pod port inside. Plug in, close faceplate and reciever reads and displays everything on the radio and protects the USB/I Pod. Large screen with 4 rows charactors. Bluetooth, I-tunes etc. The brains of reciever is in another box which is mounted somewhere else in boat. Lots of features, very cool setup. I get rid of CD changer, huge 3" dia Sony remote, use Kenwood marine remote which can be flush mounted and looks nice. You can add up to 3 remotes.
Added 1 10" Kenwood marine sub that comes as a package with it's own amp. This thing rocks alot better now.
Thanks for all the help and suggestions. Look into this setup.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.