22 scarab upgrades >

22 scarab upgrades

Notices

22 scarab upgrades

Old 07-11-2009, 07:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 22 scarab upgrades

Had my 22 foot out this weekend and I have some questions. I am new to this forum and site. It sure looks like the place for some good tech info.
My boat is a 97 model with a 454 efi and a Bravo 1 outdrive.
After a weekend of trying out the boat, it seems it's a little sluggish for skiing. Not much holeshot. It runs about 62 with three adults and 20 gallons of fuel. Couldn't seem to pull up a 75 pound child on a ski. It has a mirage 23p prop, I assume a 14" prop. I thought the tach read 5500 rpm but I may be mistaken. Do I need to look at a different prop? Would trim tabs help or is it possible that the outdrive isn't adjusted corrected and isn't going down far enough. It cavitates pretty easily. Just doesn't seem to pull hard enough. Anyone have any suggestions?
Old 07-12-2009, 09:00 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For speed I think you would need a 25" Mirage+, but it was only good for going fast. For Skiing I bought a 22" 4 blade Bravo. The boat worked much better with the bravo, but the 22" was too small, but was great for Skiing. If I were you I would try a 24" 4 blade bravo. I think you would give up a few mph over the 25" Mirage+ but the boat works so much better. A non + 23" mirage was too small and didn't work well for me either. Please post your findings. Doug
Attached Thumbnails 22 scarab upgrades-100_0839.jpg  
Old 07-12-2009, 09:48 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

I agree a small 4-blade would work well for skiing. Verify your current rpms to see if anything would work better for top-speed.

A Rev4 may give you the best of both worlds.
Old 07-12-2009, 10:45 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by onesickpantera
I agree a small 4-blade would work well for skiing. Verify your current rpms to see if anything would work better for top-speed.

A Rev4 may give you the best of both worlds.
I agree, I seem to remember having a hard time finding a Rev4 in the right pitch to try. Never did get to try one, but should have. I had a 7.4L and it could turn the 22 bravo just over 5000@ 60 gps, too fast for a 7.4L. The 25" Mirage plus gave me 63 gps@ 4800, if the tach was right. Doug
Old 07-12-2009, 10:50 AM
Registered

They make tabs for the boat electro tabs , will help getting on plain, easy to install
Old 07-12-2009, 04:16 PM
Registered

If I can assume the SCARAB isn't much heavier or lighter than my Stinger 222, my vote is for the Bravo 1 at around 24P. I have a Mirage Plus 25P and Outriggers is right; Great for speed but not so hot for pulling or accelerating (which it sounds like you're after). I have a 5 blade 23P for rough and skiing etc, that pulls hard but I run out of ptich too fast. Unless you've got some serious HP, a Bravo 24P will be what you'd want. I'm looking for a B1 24 or 25P myself!

Good Luck!
Old 07-12-2009, 05:24 PM
Registered

Ihave a 22 that i put a shorty on , iam running 540 hp or so when i went to a shorty i had to get ride of my labbed 27 mirage plus, did not like to get on plane, i tried a 24 bravo 1 with i thing i am the rev limiter 5350, i bought a solas 4 blade 25 and i think i am close to the rev limiter with that one to , i have a chance to get a 25 5 blade , do i have enuff to spin it, iam doing 81.5 gps going down stream and no chim at all , i think i could sell that 25 to a friend and get the 5 blade for about the same price, what do you know about high 5 blades i need bow lift scott help help
Old 07-12-2009, 06:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by fastscarab22
They make tabs for the boat electro tabs , will help getting on plain, easy to install
I installed a set of geniune K-planes ,it did help but once I put the 4blade Bravo on it I used them very little. If I put the tabs down a hair too much it made a nasty wake to ski behind. The guy I sold it to got a very nice boat. Doug