carbon fiber

Notices

carbon fiber

Old 07-14-2009, 11:53 PM
Pirate of the Chesapeake
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default carbon fiber

Where can I get flat 1/4 sheets of carbon fiber material.Wanna make some guage panels. JOHN
Old 07-15-2009, 06:49 AM
Registered

as the risk of being general, there is no such thing. carbon fiber comes just like fiberglass cloth. it i laminated onto or made into multilayer composits in a mold or in a manufacturing process. no one i know just makes flat sheets because its strength comes from the uni direction nature of the material. if you make a flat sheet and then cut holes in it, it is now weak along the entire axis of where those hole are... so no one that knows what they are doing does that . of course if the look of carbon in a non structural use is what you are after, you can lay a sheet down on a piece of wax paper and impregnate it with the appropriate epoxy, you get a very stiff sheet about 1mm thick. you could do that until you had your 7 mm but you might find it expensive. what you might consider is making your dash out of 1/4 marine ply and then giving it to a local composit shop to put a single layer of carbon over it to get the appearence you want.
Old 07-15-2009, 06:54 AM
Registered

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

i need to find their contact info again, but there is a company that makes sheets in diff sizes like; 12"x12", 12"x24", etc. But 1/4" is pretty thick for CF. i think its only about 1/8" or so. I was going to buy a piece for a stereo bezel but then decided to just powder coat. i will see if i can find the site.
Old 07-15-2009, 07:19 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

http://www.patterntek.com/
Old 07-15-2009, 07:27 AM
Registered

1/4 inch is way too thick. 1/8 inch tops.