needed: pro engine builders opinion >

needed: pro engine builders opinion

Notices

needed: pro engine builders opinion

Old 07-21-2009, 05:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default needed: pro engine builders opinion

Getting ready to reassemble a freshened up ( rings,bearings,crank turn,oil pump,hone etc. )gen 4 330 cast crank motor and I wanted an opinion on which rear main would be the best to use I have TERRIBLE luck with rear mains leaking so any tech tips as far as correct install from a professional engine builder would be greatly appreciated Jegs lists 3 different seals in order of price they are silicone, rubber or viton all three are obviously 2 piece which one and how to get it to NOT leak !!! also I am using an off the shelf crank kit (mine is too far gone) is there anything special I need to do to use the clevite H bearings ? A buddy thought there was something I needed to do to the crank having to do with radiuses ? ???
Old 07-21-2009, 06:56 PM
Registered

Received 168 Likes on 106 Posts

rf,
The "off the shelf" crank kit will have small radii which do not require anything to use with the H bearings. Actually its the other way around ... the "good" cranks require the "H" type bearings to clear thier larger radii. To be honest with you, the standard Clevite "P" bearings would work fine on that crankshaft. I would use whatever came in the crank kit unless they are some real "no-name" bearings.

Make sure to check all of the journals for size, taper and out of round. Crank kits are ok for cars and trucks driving around at 2000 rpm all day, but are notoriously bad as far as being ground correctly You would have been much better off finding a good used crankshaft and having it reground locally by a good crank grinder.

One thing you may want to keep in mind is the balance situation. It would probably be a good idea to have the crankshaft balanced to your existing internal parts.

As far as the rear main seal goes, seems like all of the marine kits are coming with the blue silicon rear main seal. I have not had any issues with them leaking.

Hope this helps,
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md