Notices

oil coolers

Old 07-23-2009, 05:58 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil coolers

Anyone using a thermostatically controlled oil cooler...One that is built into the cooler itself....how about a oil cooler with a perma-cool ...am looking for some pics of a perma cool install to see how it was mounted and plumbed neatly so oil lines arent running everywhere

pros and cons on a cooler with thermo built in
Old 07-23-2009, 08:51 AM
Registered

anyone ever had an issue with not being able to get the oil temp up
Old 07-23-2009, 09:17 PM
Registered

WOW..nobody runs anything like this
Old 07-24-2009, 05:27 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont run one, but am planning on installing the Hardin cooler with the 212* thermo built in this winter. My oil wont get up over 215* without running at least 5000RPM, which is cruising at 80mph or so. I would rather not have to run that fast all the time just to burn off condensation.
Old 07-24-2009, 06:52 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by SED70
Anyone using a thermostatically controlled oil cooler...One that is built into the cooler itself....how about a oil cooler with a perma-cool ...am looking for some pics of a perma cool install to see how it was mounted and plumbed neatly so oil lines arent running everywhere

pros and cons on a cooler with thermo built in
I always like to use one, but never one that is already in the cooler I'am sure they work fine also. I use either one that is made by Merc on the filter mount or you can use an after-market type or one that mounts on the filter mount on the block. Are you also running a thermostat for water temp? How much moisture are you dealing with? This isn't a cure-all for moisture, the main reason for oil temp is maintaining temp for proper flow of oil in the system. Some builders don't believe in controlling water temp or oil temp. Glad to see someone else out there is staying on track. If I'am testing on the dyno, no pulls are made until i have at least 160 degrees. As far as plumbing it should be self contained; water in , water out. oil from block to cooler, cooled oil from cooler to filter inlet, filtered oil back to block. you can also filter the oil before it goes through the cooler there are pros and cons on routing if you damage the engine the trash goes intothe cooler and it has to be cleaned out, If it's after the filter your good, I don't like uncooled oil at 240- 260 running through the filter, breakdown of element material?
Old 07-24-2009, 07:15 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.cpperformance.com/detail.aspx?ID=915

Just a note, the cooler appears to have a thernostat setup to open at 190* based on the description. Even this would be better than what I have now. The oil temp wont climb over 185* while running at 4500RPM....Ever.
Old 07-24-2009, 03:09 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Philm
http://www.cpperformance.com/detail.aspx?ID=915

Just a note, the cooler appears to have a thernostat setup to open at 190* based on the description. Even this would be better than what I have now. The oil temp wont climb over 185* while running at 4500RPM....Ever.

I think those open @ 215* .... By design they maintain 190-215* ..... I am running the KE external Thermostats and 3x18 merc HP oil coolers .... if I am running 3800+ they work fine but in the winter time with cold water and/or 3000 cruising speeds the oil temp will not come up ...... I installed a bypass around the oil cooler so I can divert most of the water flow around the cooler .... Running oil temps over 200 completely eliminated any condensation problems .....m