water in oil cant find source >

water in oil cant find source

Notices

water in oil cant find source

Old 07-26-2009, 07:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question water in oil cant find source

Purchaced a 502 a few months ago, AFR heads .Victor junior intake,large EDDIES MARINE oil cooler, from a reputable offshore member, low hours,inspected it upon arrival. Only pulled pan,and heads to inspect... the engine looks like new inside. Put it back together with NEW same p/n 1075 felpro head gaskets heads placed on same sides and torqued . Ran for the first time last month in driveway everything seems ok but noticed a lot of condinsation in breather tubes.Towed 225 to Lake George NY put boat in water ,after 5 min of running the oil looked like milk. Brought it home noticed that water port alignment between intake and heads off slightly with only 1/8 sealing area at bottom and most of the milk coming from the front oil drains of both heads into the valley under the water ports.Installed felpro1211s-3 marine intake gaskets which have more sealing area around ports used sealant around ports at let dry,Sucked oil out of engine twice drained filter Twice the oil looked clear put it back in the water ran for 1/2 hr and have the same problem.Compression test is good,I have ruled out the intake gasket and doubt its a head gasket,Inpected old gaskets and no evidence of previous leakage evident. Is it possible the oil cooler could be leaking internally and if it is how could 10lbs of water pressure overcome 60lbs of oil pressurre and would I not see an oil slick behind the boat? Please help only a few weekends left to enjoy....Thanks
Old 07-26-2009, 09:42 PM
Registered

Received 168 Likes on 106 Posts

Frank,
You are going to have to figure out a way to pressurize the cooling system and then look to see if you can see the leak with the valve covers off. You might have to pull the intake and make some plates to block off the water ports on the heads so you can look for leaks in the lifter valley area.

I have never used the FelPro MLS gaskets, but on certain Cometic gaskets you have to cut out the little brass rivets that hold the gasket together before you install it or it will keep the head from sealing all the way flat. I dont think I have ever had to do this on a Big Block Chevy with the Cometics, but the FelPro might be different ?

Just thinking out loud

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md