oil temp too hot any suggestions? >

oil temp too hot any suggestions?

Notices

oil temp too hot any suggestions?

Old 07-29-2009, 10:17 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PatriYacht
I just noticed that the cooler is chromed. According to informed sources, chroming will cut the cooling ability of the cooler in half.
I have read that also but it did cool my other motor so? If the water leak doesnt fix it I will put a new\bigger nin chromed cooler on it next.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:20 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PatriYacht
I just noticed that the cooler is chromed. According to informed sources, chroming will cut the cooling ability of the cooler in half.
i checked out that possibility, the cooler does radiate heat, and it's possible that chrome may affect radiated heat by that percentage, however the water to oil interface through the brass or coppernickel tubes is the primary cooling method and radiated heat is a fairly small percentage of it.
Old 07-29-2009, 03:39 PM
Registered

well the oil still gets too hot about 190 on the trailer at idle so I guess the next logical step is to replace the oil cooler?
Old 07-29-2009, 03:48 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by lake speed
well the oil still gets too hot about 190 on the trailer at idle so I guess the next logical step is to replace the oil cooler?
before you go there, pick up a cheap infrared gun at harbor freight or other and make sure the hot oil is going where it should and that it is the temp you are seeing.

don't see how you could get 190 oil on the trailer
Old 07-29-2009, 04:23 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Wobble
don't see how you could get 190 oil on the trailer
me neither.... even if the bearings were messed up...

Are you sure you have the correct sender that is matched with the gauge?
Old 07-29-2009, 04:32 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Panther
me neither.... even if the bearings were messed up...

Are you sure you have the correct sender that is matched with the gauge?
no I am not. the shop that put the motor in broke the sender that was in the pan so they replaced it. the line out of the cooler to the oil pan isn't that hot. I can hold it in my hand and its a braided line. the line from the pan to the oil filter is too hold to hold so I know that the cooler is doing something. the cooler is also pretty hot to the touch but I am thinking it should be if its working? I am going to order a new sender and try that then I guess if that doesn't work I will try a new cooler. Like I said guys I have been around and owned race cars for 20 years and even owned a race fab shop but this thing is wearing me out lol!!!! My thinking is that if the bearing tolerances were too tight it would at least cool off after letting it idle? would running a thermostat or restrictor in the water neck increase water psi? I have a crossover with a bypass and no restrictor or t stat. the water temp never gets over 150 idling on the trailer.
Old 07-29-2009, 06:58 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by lake speed
no I am not. the shop that put the motor in broke the sender that was in the pan so they replaced it. the line out of the cooler to the oil pan isn't that hot. I can hold it in my hand and its a braided line. the line from the pan to the oil filter is too hold to hold so I know that the cooler is doing something. the cooler is also pretty hot to the touch but I am thinking it should be if its working? I am going to order a new sender and try that then I guess if that doesn't work I will try a new cooler. Like I said guys I have been around and owned race cars for 20 years and even owned a race fab shop but this thing is wearing me out lol!!!! My thinking is that if the bearing tolerances were too tight it would at least cool off after letting it idle? would running a thermostat or restrictor in the water neck increase water psi? I have a crossover with a bypass and no restrictor or t stat. the water temp never gets over 150 idling on the trailer.
I am running a crossover, i have a 160 t-stat with 3x 3/16 drilled around the edges. Highly advise running a sea strainer if you are using a t-stat and a crossover
Old 07-29-2009, 08:43 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 377 Likes on 253 Posts

18 inches is'nt too small for an oil cooler... I'd go with something wrong in the cooler...
Old 07-29-2009, 09:04 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by jeff32
18 inches is'nt too small for an oil cooler... I'd go with something wrong in the cooler...
The cooler is 18" total. the oil cooler side is 12"s and I am not using the ps cooler.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:07 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Wobble
I am running a crossover, i have a 160 t-stat with 3x 3/16 drilled around the edges. Highly advise running a sea strainer if you are using a t-stat and a crossover
I also use a 160 deg thermostat but I have (2) 1/8" holes drilled in it. Should do about the same thing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.