Notices

Water Temp?

Old 07-27-2009, 09:58 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water Temp?

I'am Running Twin 540's With No Thermostats
Engines Run At About 110 Degrees And Oil Temp Gauges Never Moves Up (oil Never Gets Hot?) Is This Good Or Should I Be Trying To Build Some Heat To Warm Oil So It Cleans Properly?
Thanks Again
Old 07-27-2009, 11:25 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 35CAFE
I'am Running Twin 540's With No Thermostats
Engines Run At About 110 Degrees And Oil Temp Gauges Never Moves Up (oil Never Gets Hot?) Is This Good Or Should I Be Trying To Build Some Heat To Warm Oil So It Cleans Properly?
Thanks Again
To your question no oil temp not good! cold oil does not flow well, to go along with cold engine temps.Parts are not up to temp. pistons expand at a faster rate then cast iron, scuffing can occur from this. Moisture can develope inside the engine and in the valve covers, causing your springs to rust and all the remaining parts, cylinder walls will start to rust over a period of time. The cool water entering the engine will cause the moisture to always develope, you have to have oil temp to at least 200 degrees or a constant water temp of 140 degrees to prevent this. I always run thermostats or at least a oil themostatic controlled oilling system. Check inside the vale cover for either rust on the valve springs or a white film on the oil cap or the underside of the valve cover. If you have any more questions on this feel free to ask. Mark
Old 07-28-2009, 08:32 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After engine rebuilds and new t-stats I found my oil temp was not really matching the water temp.... I replaced ALL my senders and switchs. Low and behold, after replacing all the senders, now my oil temp gets hot. So I would check the senders first. chances are, the oil is getting hot, it is just not reflecting on yoru gauge. If the oil was staying cool, it wouldn't run that good andnot make all the power it should I wouldn't think.
Old 07-29-2009, 06:00 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, probably a bad sender. I run a crossover as well, water temp never even registers, but the oil temp will still go up.

If you decide not to run a thermostat, make sure you run the boat hard enough to get the oil temps up to at least 215* for a good period of time to get condensation out of the oil.