Plumbing oil cooler and remote >

Plumbing oil cooler and remote

Notices

Plumbing oil cooler and remote

Old 08-05-2009, 08:57 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plumbing oil cooler and remote

Finally ready to install new oil lines on fresh rebuilds. I was thinking of running lines from filter adapter, to oil cooler, to filter remote, back to block. Is this correct, or should I go to filter, cooler, back to block?
Thanks for any suggestions, BC
Old 08-05-2009, 09:22 PM
Registered

Out of the block to the filter, then to the cooler, then back to block. Atleast this is how I do it.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:27 PM
Registered

Received 1,491 Likes on 806 Posts

Originally Posted by niceguy
Out of the block to the filter, then to the cooler, then back to block. Atleast this is how I do it.

I would agree and about to be doing the same thing on my new installs. filtering the oil prior to the cooler would make good sense.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:00 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default filter diagram

Originally Posted by Cold Sweat
Finally ready to install new oil lines on fresh rebuilds. I was thinking of running lines from filter adapter, to oil cooler, to filter remote, back to block. Is this correct, or should I go to filter, cooler, back to block?
Thanks for any suggestions, BC
check out Hardin Marine's website, www.hardin-marine.com access their tech support tab. there is all types of useful info. scroll down to oil filters, and click on thermofilter. there you will see a cut-a-way illustration with the flow direction of how you should plumb your lines. I also would suggest that the oil flow at the cooler run against the flow of the cooling water.
Old 08-06-2009, 02:20 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by smokinbob
I also would suggest that the oil flow at the cooler run against the flow of the cooling water.
Probably a simple answer to this question i just haven't thought of yet but, Why?

Also, my thoughts are I'd want the oil filter after the cooler in case the cooler drops something into the oil. Is it better for the filter to get the oil while it's still hot so it lowers the flow pressure on the filter or something? I run the big K&N 3002 filter, is it an issue?

I'd really love to hear about that reverse flow thingy though.

Cheers,
John
Old 08-06-2009, 08:58 AM
Registered

The main reason for the filter before the cooler is to try to keep from contaminating the cooler in the case of engine destruction or even normal engine wear particles building up. And it no doubt helps to have hot oil going through the filter instead of 'cooled' oil.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:59 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default oil cooling

Originally Posted by Ghostrider
Probably a simple answer to this question i just haven't thought of yet but, Why?

Also, my thoughts are I'd want the oil filter after the cooler in case the cooler drops something into the oil. Is it better for the filter to get the oil while it's still hot so it lowers the flow pressure on the filter or something? I run the big K&N 3002 filter, is it an issue?

I'd really love to hear about that reverse flow thingy though.

Cheers,
John
the reason for running the hot oil against the direction of the cooling water is optimum heat transfer. the oil is being cooled by the coldest charge possible.