Painting Outdrives - How? >

Painting Outdrives - How?

Notices

Painting Outdrives - How?

Old 04-02-2002, 05:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting Outdrives - How?

I have 3 Bravo One outdrives. The paint is peeling on two of the drives but the third is fine. All three have the same drive shower installed.

Has anyone tried Imron or powdercoating? Should I use the merc paint or will it just peel off again? How should I prep the metal?

Thanks!
Old 04-02-2002, 08:05 PM
Registered

I painted my two bravo 1s last weekend with imron and they really turned out well. I had a good base of original paint so I only scuffed with sandpaper then sprayed. Go back about 3 weeks in posts to find how to do bare aluminum properly. Those guys were really helpful to me. You need a self etching primer by dupont first with bare.

Get a good charcoal respirator if you do imron. It make things much more healthy.

BT
Old 04-02-2002, 10:52 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Imron, Is my #1 choice. If you have bare metal spots? Spray them with an epoxy primer. Depending on how good you want them to look, spray a little filler primer in and block out the rough spots, then spray the color, two coats should be enough and don't forget the Imron clear, Its called 500s. Spray three coats of clear and your ready to boat.
Old 04-03-2002, 11:24 AM
Charter Member #737
Charter Member

Received 73 Likes on 41 Posts

My drive had been powder coated for two season. The problem with powder coating the drives have to be taken apart since the seals will not stand up to the heat from the oven.
Old 04-03-2002, 11:54 AM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

If the paint is failing, then you will need to have it striped off. The best way will be with a media blast. The goal is to remove all the corroded aluminum. If any corrosion is allowed to remain, the new finish is doomed to fail. If you mask the shafts and seals off, and the blaster is very carefull, you can do it with out disassembling the drive.