Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
How to use drives and tabs on a SONIC 31ss...Help please! >

How to use drives and tabs on a SONIC 31ss...Help please!

Notices

How to use drives and tabs on a SONIC 31ss...Help please!

Old 08-13-2009, 11:39 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default How to use drives and tabs on a SONIC 31ss...Help please!

I just purchased a 1989 31SS and I have been researching the use of the tabs and drives and found different answers everywhere. Here is how the previous owner told me he drove it.

*When taking off drives all the way down and tabs all the way in the (bow down) position. Once on plane tkae trim tab indicator from 10 to 3 or 4 (I think this is taking the tabs up?) And ride like that. He told me he never touches the drives just leaves them down unless he wanted to pick up a little speed.

Instead of pretending I know it all and tearing something up I beleive in asking stupid questions.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:05 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Every boat is different. Some need more tab and some need less. It really sounds like the guy you bought it from didn't know what he was doing or at least didn't give very good pointers. You will want the drives up some at cruise speeds and definately at higher speeds. Take it out and do some testing to see what works the best.
Old 08-13-2009, 01:30 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

So what about the tabs? When I take off where should the be at?and then when I get running should I just leave them there are start trimming up to raise the bow up or should I use the tabs to bring the bow up?
Old 08-13-2009, 02:13 PM
Registered

Location: Northern, KY (Cincinnati) Lake St Clair, MI Norris Lake, TN
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Always start with drives all the way in (down). Try not using tabs at all and see if you have any blow out or bad bow rise.

Some boats need tabs to get going and some pop right up on plane. You may not need them at all to get out of the hole.

Once on plane put tabs up and trim drives a little. You'll see increase in speed and RPM. When speed starts to decrease or bow starts to bounce you've over trimmed the drives. Once you've found a good setting, mark it on your indicators.
Old 08-14-2009, 01:29 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Tabs are used for certain purposes. In general, they keep the bow down. They help the boat get on plane easier when down. They will also scrub speed, increase fuel usage and make you stuff the bow if left too far down.
95% of the time, my tabs are +/- one number of neutral. Neutral meaning parallel with the bottom of the boat.
Old 08-14-2009, 03:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sometimes I have to use one tab or the other to keep the boat running upright. Like if the wind is blowing hard from right to left, I usually have to lower the port tab a little to keep the boat running straight up. Other than that, the tabs are left in the neutral position.
Old 08-14-2009, 05:00 PM
Registered

What props are you running. I had a 31 with four blades. drives down, no tabs it would pop right up. (500 HP'S)
Old 08-14-2009, 05:41 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

On my 31ss I never have to use the tabs unless:

1. I have to go slow on a plane at 25 and 30MPH
These are slow speed zones on the Indian River.

2. In a slow speed minimum wake zone (9-10Kts)

3. Really heavy seas (6 to 8 ft)

I have never seen such a stable boat in almost any sea condition.