Engine alarm >

Engine alarm

Notices

Engine alarm

Old 08-17-2009, 08:49 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Engine alarm

35 Outlaw with 525's. Port motor set an alarm after hitting a pretty big wake Saturday. Steady alarm, the engine would not rev over 1500 rpm's. I shut off the engine and restarted. It ran fine until I hit a wake again. This happened three times coming home. I pretty sure it's a sensor. Hopping it gets looked at this week. That code should stay in the computer, right? Any ideas?
Old 08-18-2009, 12:47 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by redbud35
35 Outlaw with 525's. Port motor set an alarm after hitting a pretty big wake Saturday. Steady alarm, the engine would not rev over 1500 rpm's. I shut off the engine and restarted. It ran fine until I hit a wake again. This happened three times coming home. I pretty sure it's a sensor. Hopping it gets looked at this week. That code should stay in the computer, right? Any ideas?
Check in fault history as well as active faults. From your description, it could be a simple loose connection but it's going into guardian mode so it's one of the critical ones most likely.

Should be a relatively easy thing to figure out. Theory in a post is always easier than fixing it.
Old 08-18-2009, 11:39 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i would guess water pressure sensor...its at the back of the engine,,,,its screwed into the power steering cooler,,,easy to get to,,,let us know what you find,,,also what lowers where you thinking about putting on???
Old 08-18-2009, 12:17 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To my understanding, the only things that trigger the dash alarm are the oil pressure sender, the drive lube monitor sensor, and the H2O temp sensor.... that should narrow down what to look for.
Old 08-18-2009, 03:08 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by TWIN-SPINS
i would guess water pressure sensor...its at the back of the engine,,,,its screwed into the power steering cooler,,,easy to get to,,,let us know what you find,,,also what lowers where you thinking about putting on???
That does make alot of sense. But I think eichhoma is correct. I have CPR looking into it. It As for as the lowers. I would like to try a pair of shorties. Just don't want to spend a bunch of money and not be able to use them. runs great until you hit a rough patch of water.
Old 08-18-2009, 03:12 PM
Registered

Scott will hook you up right over there!

I just went through changing out all my senders and switch's... learned a lot... learned (according to merc's wiring diagram) that those are the only three sensors that go to the engine alarm.... Let me know if you need a hand, I am always down for a beer and helping out a fellow boater. I'll be down tomorrow afternoon through the weekend. Mark
Old 08-18-2009, 04:04 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by eichhoma
Scott will hook you up right over there!

I just went through changing out all my senders and switch's... learned a lot... learned (according to merc's wiring diagram) that those are the only three sensors that go to the engine alarm.... Let me know if you need a hand, I am always down for a beer and helping out a fellow boater. I'll be down tomorrow afternoon through the weekend. Mark
pm sent
Old 08-18-2009, 08:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by eichhoma
To my understanding, the only things that trigger the dash alarm are the oil pressure sender, the drive lube monitor sensor, and the H2O temp sensor.... that should narrow down what to look for.
I have found that 496,500efi and 525efi will give you an alarm for man.temp.,IAC,etc. not just the usual three.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:04 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

iam getting code 179,160,, both exhaust manifolds overheating at a 1000 rpm,,,just above idle cruising,,,,what would cause this,,,i need to start somewhere,,i think its either blockage,,,or raw water pump,,,never get alarm while running on plane,,,need some help guys 496 h.o. with stainless marine,,,other engine does not set alarms
Old 08-19-2009, 07:32 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by speedreeder
I have found that 496,500efi and 525efi will give you an alarm for man.temp.,IAC,etc. not just the usual three.
Good information.... thanks! mine is not an efi - has no computer. So I am guessing the efi's potentially have other triggers that go to the alarm as well. I will check my manual, it shows diagrams for all their engines. My merc manual (for mine - the 525SC) just shows the three I stated above as the only alarm triggers....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.