Electrical Problems >

Electrical Problems

Notices

Electrical Problems

Old 08-17-2009, 10:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical Problems

454 Mag Carb. When I run over 4000 RPM's the Tach seems to bounce around and you can feel the boat surge a little bit. I have noticed when I trim there is a big jump in the tach also. Are both of these problems electrical? New wires, distributer, coil, plugs. The voltage meter seems low, around 10 or 11 when I am cruising.

Thanks
Old 08-18-2009, 02:06 AM
Registered

You need to check a few things:
1) Your ground. Battery and block connections. Make sure they're good and clean
2) Your alternator output (under load). Though irractic operation isn't caused by the alternator, low voltage at the battery would cause a missfire or stumble.
3) Your connections... All of them. If the above is correct, there's something else loose somewhere. You need to find it.
4) What's your timing set at? You mentioned new leads, what type? I doubt you are suffering from electrical interference at RPM from trim etc, but if your tach moves when you trim, it's because of a surge across the system or bad ground usually.

It all sounds electrical to me, you just need to narrow down which area is causing you grief by a process of elimination. How old is your battery? How good are your terminal conenctions? How many joins are in your ignition wires? Etc Etc...

Good Luck!!

Last edited by Ghostrider; 08-18-2009 at 02:08 AM.
Old 08-19-2009, 10:10 PM
Registered

I haven't had any time to investigate further do to rain. Does the coil have to be a marine coil? I just got one from my local auto parts store.