Thruhull pickups

Notices

Thruhull pickups

Old 08-22-2009, 12:42 PM
Crazy Energy
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aTX427
I have never had sucess with those thru-hull pickups. You should consider a transom mounted pickups with a lead in groove and install pop-off valves on the strainer to bleed off excess pressure. I used a 1.25" diameter pipe wrapped in sand paper to create the lead in groove. It is 5" long and about 3/8" deep. The pickup does not extend past the bottom of the hull. I would also either block off the the drive fed pickups at the inner transom plate. If they pull air, you will continue to have pressure problems. You should also weld a center plate inside the pickup to prevent larger pieces of debris from clogging the pickup.
I would rather have transom pickups but to get them installed I'm thinking I would have to pull headers to get at them is why I choose the thru hull's. I'll be 21 inches in front of the transom. Do you have to pull the drive to get to the inner transom plate? I also have 12" Imco extension boxes.

Last edited by Velocity Vector; 08-22-2009 at 12:44 PM.
Old 08-22-2009, 04:30 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Talking

this is what Im doing,the thru the knotch or botton would of benn cheaper.I Redesing the one on the left
Attached Thumbnails Thruhull pickups-b-max-polished-drive-7-28-09-022-large-2-.jpg   Thruhull pickups-pick-up-tube-kit-018-large-.jpg   Thruhull pickups-hustler-paint-job-4-09-018-large-.jpg  

Thruhull pickups-b-max-polished-drive-7-28-09-028-large-.jpg   Thruhull pickups-moded-water-pick-large-.jpg  

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 08-22-2009, 05:13 PM
Crazy Energy
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
this is what Im doing,the thru the knotch or botton would of benn cheaper.I Redesing the one on the left
Those are nice, looks like you been doing some ciphering on the patteren.
Old 08-22-2009, 07:44 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those sportmasters will support enough water, they have to be modified on the openings, you can do it with a die grinder or better tear the lowers down and set them up in a milling machine and end mill the inlets larger and deeper lead-in grooves, if you have a step bottom, I can bet you are getting air in the water system, if so you need to dump the air from the top of the strainers to below the water-line when the boat is not on plane. you can run on 15 psi water press, but, without the air, they will support at least 800 HP for sure. I had a 2004 Top Gun with the same problems. Air is still going to be there on a stepped bottom.
Old 08-22-2009, 10:48 PM
Crazy Energy
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by MER Performance
Those sportmasters will support enough water, they have to be modified on the openings, you can do it with a die grinder or better tear the lowers down and set them up in a milling machine and end mill the inlets larger and deeper lead-in grooves, if you have a step bottom, I can bet you are getting air in the water system, if so you need to dump the air from the top of the strainers to below the water-line when the boat is not on plane. you can run on 15 psi water press, but, without the air, they will support at least 800 HP for sure. I had a 2004 Top Gun with the same problems. Air is still going to be there on a stepped bottom.
This is a pad bottom, no steps. I looked at the hose today from the lower pickups on the drive, what size is that hose, looked like 1"? It acts like air to me too.

Last edited by Velocity Vector; 08-22-2009 at 10:51 PM.
Old 08-26-2009, 12:45 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Velocity Vector
I would rather have transom pickups but to get them installed I'm thinking I would have to pull headers to get at them is why I choose the thru hull's. I'll be 21 inches in front of the transom. Do you have to pull the drive to get to the inner transom plate? I also have 12" Imco extension boxes.
You should be able to access the drive water block off through the access plate of the extension box. You will still probably need to channel the hull to feed the through hull pickup. Just an idea, but you may consider trading your sportmaster lowers for Imco lowers. They flow way more water and can be ported if you still need more flow.