Thruhull pickups

Notices

Thruhull pickups

Old 08-21-2009, 05:00 PM
Crazy Energy
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thruhull pickups

I am in the process of installing thru hull water pickups, I'm just not getting enough water with through the sportsmasters low water pickups. I'm going with Teauge thruhulls instead of thru transoms because I can't get to them with the engines installed. They will be about 22" from the end of the pad towards the front, so I should be good to get plenty of water there. Through hull water pickup. 1.5" pickup tube at a 30 degree forward angle. I got the sea strainers out waiting on parts. Suggestions on install would be helpfull. This is what I got. I'm planning to leave the drive water like it is at the strainer and run the pickups to the strainer in the other 1 1/4" hole I have there. Am I thinking wrong? Both going in the strainer and the pump sucks from the bottom of the strainer.
Attached Thumbnails Thruhull pickups-1050.jpg   Thruhull pickups-thruhull.jpg  
Old 08-21-2009, 07:46 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On our straight vee boat, we cut the PU to be just above the bottom and then "scooped" out the hull 3-4" in front of the PU. We went from 0" to about 1/8 to 3/16 deep at the PU. The result was too much water pressure. With the scoop, the WP is also dependant on your top speed. We ended up with the PU flat with the bottom and no scoop in front of the PU. This is where I suggest you start and then scoop in front of the PU a little bit at a time to raise the water pressure until it is where you want it to be. A small 1" sanding drum works well. A million opinions, but my experience says 10-15 lbs of WP is plenty.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:19 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The best thru hull pick-up out there is from Stainless Marine, there is a port and starboard, not like what you have shown. Is the hull cored? If it is you have to remove the coring and replace it with plywood or something that will withstand the pressure from the pick-up. I have installed 2 of these on a Fountain, they will require a lead-in groove. What kind of power are you running? Why, do you feel the water volume is low?
Old 08-21-2009, 09:30 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We are also using the SM PU's. My point is it is best to test before you guess at the depth of the groove.

http://www.stainlessmarine.com/myProducts.CFM?CFID=3925403&CFTOKEN=d13f1a49195b55 06-3FEF9C7A-BC89-78C7-D78055B4EB6D4FC2&parentcategoryid=53%7CWater%20Pic kups&productID=55&showDetail=1&categoryID=53|Water %20Pickups&vendoridtodisplay=0&filterFor=&collecti on=
Old 08-21-2009, 10:16 PM
Crazy Energy
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by MER Performance
The best thru hull pick-up out there is from Stainless Marine, there is a port and starboard, not like what you have shown. Is the hull cored? If it is you have to remove the coring and replace it with plywood or something that will withstand the pressure from the pick-up. I have installed 2 of these on a Fountain, they will require a lead-in groove. What kind of power are you running? Why, do you feel the water volume is low?
32 Velocity 625 hp supercats. I haven't had any decent water pressure since we installed the engines and 1" lower sportsmasters now have a couple hr's on them 10# max and most time none. I moved the pressure lines to the manifold from the block thinking they were getting pluged up at the block. Still no pressure and as soon as I'm on plane one or the other engines will start to warm up 180-190 and the other engine is fine @ 140 It has happened on both engines but not at the same time. I have tested the guages, impellers, flushed thru the drives with flush kit water runs out the drives, flush the engine and water comes out the dry tails and made sure all the connections were tight not to suck air. Doesn't get hot on the hose but just idling. I don't know what else to do but add the pickups. I havent taken the drives off to see if the hose got crimped just because we just put all that together.
Attached Thumbnails Thruhull pickups-dsc_0041-large-.jpg  

Last edited by Velocity Vector; 08-21-2009 at 10:20 PM.
Old 08-22-2009, 12:24 AM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Damn nice looking motors !!!
Rob

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 08-22-2009, 08:55 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Can you test for air in the system, clear plastic hose between thermostat housing and exhaust? I can show you pics on how to modify the water inlets on the sportmasters. was there any cooling issue prior to this?
Old 08-22-2009, 09:08 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Super clean set-up! What size are the strainers? Why, did you go to a 1" longer lower? Becareful testing this,you could very easily cook the cylinder heads. Read the temp with a temp gun on the cylinder heads in all 4corners of the manifold at the water outlets, frontand rear. Is your oil temp climbing also and not coming down? I just went through a very costly problem on a top gun. This was posted on the other site SOS under 38 Top Gun cooling problems, if you want to look at it. http://www.seriousoffshore.com/forum...ead.php?t=8435
Old 08-22-2009, 10:52 AM
Registered

I have never had sucess with those thru-hull pickups. You should consider a transom mounted pickups with a lead in groove and install pop-off valves on the strainer to bleed off excess pressure. I used a 1.25" diameter pipe wrapped in sand paper to create the lead in groove. It is 5" long and about 3/8" deep. The pickup does not extend past the bottom of the hull. I would also either block off the the drive fed pickups at the inner transom plate. If they pull air, you will continue to have pressure problems. You should also weld a center plate inside the pickup to prevent larger pieces of debris from clogging the pickup.

Last edited by aTX427; 08-22-2009 at 11:23 AM.
Old 08-22-2009, 11:49 AM
Crazy Energy
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by MER Performance
Super clean set-up! What size are the strainers? Why, did you go to a 1" longer lower? Becareful testing this,you could very easily cook the cylinder heads. Read the temp with a temp gun on the cylinder heads in all 4corners of the manifold at the water outlets, frontand rear. Is your oil temp climbing also and not coming down? I just went through a very costly problem on a top gun. This was posted on the other site SOS under 38 Top Gun cooling problems, if you want to look at it. http://www.seriousoffshore.com/forum...ead.php?t=8435
Thanks for the reply, We just installed the motors and drives, MY sports masters are 1" shorter not longer, I have been carefull not to exceed the temps, oil temp is good when engines are @ 140 but when it climbes the oil temp climbes too. Here are what the strainers looks like I'm useing two of them and my flush kit. When I hook the water hose up to run the engines the hose doesn't collaps like it did on another boat I had with strainer. Like its not sucking to hard. I thought my flush kit might be sucking air so I by-passed it and it does the same thing not sucking hard so I hooked it back up.
Attached Thumbnails Thruhull pickups-strainers.jpg   Thruhull pickups-flush.jpg  
Attached Images  

Last edited by Velocity Vector; 08-22-2009 at 12:19 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.