What size oil lines >

What size oil lines

Notices

What size oil lines

Old 08-22-2009, 06:20 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What size oil lines

I have a set of Gen 6 engines very very similare to the hp 500 carb version.I'm still running the stock block adapter. I need to replace the oil lines to the remote filter and cooler, can I use #8 aeroquip fittings and lines.I allready know bigger is better, but i have a ton of #8 stuff and would rather not spend the bread for new block adapters fittings and braided hose If it wasn't necessary. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 08-22-2009, 06:38 AM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Rudd Jr
I have a set of Gen 6 engines very very similare to the hp 500 carb version.I'm still running the stock block adapter. I need to replace the oil lines to the remote filter and cooler, can I use #8 aeroquip fittings and lines.I allready know bigger is better, but i have a ton of #8 stuff and would rather not spend the bread for new block adapters fittings and braided hose If it wasn't necessary. Any help would be appreciated.
I use 12 AN lines and fittings. The Canton Racing adaptor is much better. Do a search for "oiling system with stock hardware".
Old 08-22-2009, 08:15 AM
Registered

Another vote for AN-12 as a standard. Run the AN-8 for fuel at a minimum. You need the size for oil to ensure it flows at sufficient volume, not just pressure, eslpecially when cold. AN-8 would generate VERY high pressures and never flow nearly enough. Sorry to be the barer of bad news but I found out the hard way and I wouldn't want for you to do the same!

Seriously though, read up on this thread:
Oil Pressure Problems...
Old 08-22-2009, 08:47 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Rudd Jr
Artic Friends, did a complete thread on this subject.
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...-hardware.html
Old 08-22-2009, 09:11 AM
Registered

great info !! thanks alot guys. guess I need to break out some bread and upgrade.
Old 08-22-2009, 10:36 AM
Registered

I think -8 is too small. I believe the 500HP uses -10, as do the 700sci's.
Old 08-22-2009, 02:51 PM
Registered

Dont cut corners on your oiling system. Ask me how I know
Old 08-24-2009, 01:27 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Ghostrider
Another vote for AN-12 as a standard. Run the AN-8 for fuel at a minimum. You need the size for oil to ensure it flows at sufficient volume, not just pressure, eslpecially when cold. AN-8 would generate VERY high pressures and never flow nearly enough. Sorry to be the barer of bad news but I found out the hard way and I wouldn't want for you to do the same!

Seriously though, read up on this thread:
Oil Pressure Problems...

there is absolutely nothing technically correct about this information unless the information is coming from the batman and robin comic book version of the fluid dynamics handbook.

a melling oil pump, typical to a big block chevy will max out i.e to say will NOT exceed 6 gal per minute before it cavitates. so thats the number.... 6 gals per minute.

a 5/16 line will move 30 wt oil roughly 5 times that number.

a 3/8 line will move roughly 10 times that number

the presure never changes because the relief valve sees to that. if it didn't the system would hydrolock and the filter would explode.

the factory, and i'm talking about guys with real degrees who actually know what they are doing and aren't talking out their ass use 3/8 lines and they are correct.

the people that are suggesting that -12 lines are an improvement in any sense what so ever under any circumstances don't know their asses from a hole in the ground and it would be really nice if you stopped promoting this voodoo like it was meaningful.

Last edited by stevesxm; 08-24-2009 at 02:13 PM.
Old 08-24-2009, 03:28 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by stevesxm
there is absolutely nothing technically correct about this information unless the information is coming from the batman and robin comic book version of the fluid dynamics handbook.

a melling oil pump, typical to a big block chevy will max out i.e to say will NOT exceed 6 gal per minute before it cavitates. so thats the number.... 6 gals per minute.

a 5/16 line will move 30 wt oil roughly 5 times that number.

a 3/8 line will move roughly 10 times that number

the presure never changes because the relief valve sees to that. if it didn't the system would hydrolock and the filter would explode.

the factory, and i'm talking about guys with real degrees who actually know what they are doing and aren't talking out their ass use 3/8 lines and they are correct.

the people that are suggesting that -12 lines are an improvement in any sense what so ever under any circumstances don't know their asses from a hole in the ground and it would be really nice if you stopped promoting this voodoo like it was meaningful.
Thanks for calling us stupid for using 12an lines. My engine has not blown up since I upgraded my oiling system from stock form. Thats all the proof I need. I upgraded the Adaptor all the fittings and lines and modified the filter housing. Since then no problems. Just giving my personal experence to try to help somone out.
Old 08-24-2009, 07:09 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rudd - do you have oil temp gauges? If so, what is your oil temp at cruise, and at WOT? btw.... if you don't have oil temp gauges, it would be a good idea to install them.

Also, what's your oil pressure read at idle, cruise & WOT?

Answers to these questions will make it easier for the members here to help out.

Last edited by Kidnova; 08-24-2009 at 07:17 PM. Reason: just because

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.