Engine just "cut out"? IDEAS?? >

Engine just "cut out"? IDEAS??

Notices

Engine just "cut out"? IDEAS??

Old 08-24-2009, 09:47 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine just "cut out"? IDEAS??

took the boat out on saturday and it ran like a greased top all day long. after about a total of 5 hours of running it for the day and on the way back to the landing, the damn thing just "cut out". imagine driving in your car and you turn the key off. thats what the boat did. lift the hatch thinking the fuel pump went out and its working fine. turn it over and it cranks right up. hmm..... so we go about another mile and it does it again. cycle the key off then on, and it cranks up again. putting it on the trailer, it does it once more. no alarms, no fuses blown, nothing out of the ordinary from what i can see. the boat is a 98 24ft baja with a 525sc with only about 30 hours on it at this point. a good starting point from my opinion would be the ignition, but any input on this would be appreciated!!
Old 08-24-2009, 10:04 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine did the the same thing when I had an ignition module go bad.
Old 08-24-2009, 10:29 AM
Registered

By pass the kill switch lanyard, might be that. Sounds like ignition for sure, all you can do is start troubleshooting.

I had module go bad a while ago and would just shut off, would restart when cool, not right away. (not saying cant be that, just saying)
Old 08-24-2009, 10:44 AM
Registered

Received 283 Likes on 170 Posts

When our sea ray was new there was an exposed wire running to the fuel pump that would foul out on a piece of metal. Boat would shut down at cruising and kept blowing fuses to the electrical fuel pump. Couldn't find the short until the wire stayed stuck on the metal it kept shorting out on.
Old 08-24-2009, 10:57 AM
Registered

ive done engine work for years, and it really sounds like and felt like and ignition issue. im going to look at the module to start and go from there. thanks for the quick replys! if anyone one else can think of something that could be it, please post it.
Old 08-24-2009, 11:06 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

check the wires from the coil to the module. Fought my old fountain for a long time till i found a sliced wire that would ground it out and shut it off. Best of luck
Old 08-24-2009, 12:04 PM
Registered

Start the engine and go over the engine giggling the ignition wires. Either one is shorting to ground or a ground is loose an going open. I have had both the 12v+ wire ground out and cause your issue and on a seperate occasion the ground wire that goes into the module plug was broken. Both were found with the wiggle test. Don't forget to wiggle the large cannon plug as well.
Old 08-24-2009, 01:01 PM
Registered

thanks blue! i will be trying that tonight. got to get it straight by saturday!!
Old 08-24-2009, 02:25 PM
Registered

Same problem was recently happening to me. Turned out to be the safety lanyard switch as stated above. The switch corroded on the inside. This is very easy to detect and fix if it turns out to be the problem. good luck.
Old 08-24-2009, 06:03 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Slysnakeman
Same problem was recently happening to me. Turned out to be the safety lanyard switch as stated above. The switch corroded on the inside. This is very easy to detect and fix if it turns out to be the problem. good luck.
Wiggle the kill switch while it is running too. They are in fact adjustable and if it came loose could do this too. As well as a failed internal circuit as slysnakeman points out. Wiggling should tell you if it is working properly.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.