Bravo I Problem >

Bravo I Problem

Notices

Bravo I Problem

Old 08-28-2009, 09:42 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Bravo I Problem

Just got finished a complete rebuild on my 502. Take it out last night to test it out and the motor is running perfect, oil pressure, temp, rpm's.. just everything was perfect.. ran the boat upto about 3200 rpms just cause its not broken in yet.. ran it for about 20mins.. then when coming back to the dock at idle the boat just died.. felt like something was wrapped around the prop and it just stopped the boat in its tracks.. I fired it right back up and sounded fine and 2 seconds later it boggs down and shuts down again.. after that it wouldnt even crank back over.. it wants to crank but something is seized.. when i would try to start you would see the belts turn right and then spring back to the left cause its bound up.. i checked the prop and it spun freely when shut down. in drive it spun right and was locked to the left, in reverse it spun left and locked to the right.. all that seems fine.. i checked the plugs and their perfect, the oil is perfect and has no water.. didnt hear any sounds that would make me think i spun a bearing in the motor.. I'm thinking something went in my outdrive but not sure what. Any ideas? my thoughts are on the gimble bearing but i didnt know that if the gimble nearing goes if it locks up the motor and cant turn over..
Old 08-28-2009, 11:06 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

I seriously doubt there is anything wrong with the drive or the gimble bearing to cause your problem. The engine will kick back like that because it is bouncing back on compression. You just need to start with the basics. Do a compression and leak down tests. If you get it running, check the timing....the distributor may have moved.
Eddie
Old 08-28-2009, 11:15 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,814 Likes on 903 Posts

Pull the spark plugs ASAP. Sounds like it might have ingested some water.
Old 08-28-2009, 12:06 PM
Registered

Pull all the plugs and see if the engine turns over smoothly either with the starter or a ratchet wrench on the damper.
Old 08-28-2009, 01:07 PM
Registered

I pulled the plugs and checked for water as soon as it happend. they were perfect and there was no water in the oil either.. I tried to turn the motor with a rachet on the balancer but it wont move.. I'm thinking i broke a tooth or two on the top gear in the upper part of the drive and its jammed up which would cause everything to lock up.. I"m gonna be taking the outdrive apart tomm so i should have a better idea then
Old 08-28-2009, 01:14 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Motor Bogs Down Dont Sound Like Drive Prob, Sounds Like Elec,losing Fire?
Old 08-28-2009, 01:17 PM
Registered

I thought that too but that wouldnt cause the motor to lock up
Old 08-28-2009, 03:04 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pull the drive off, and then see what you have
Old 08-28-2009, 03:16 PM
Registered

just pull the rear cap off the drive, you will be able to see the gears.
Old 08-28-2009, 06:26 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Greek,
Like I said in the drive section.. watch the input shaft going into the coupler... I assume you tried to turn over the motor with the plugs out.. if the drive is stuck, you will see the shaft not move.. the coupler will wind up and rotate the motor backwards a bit.. Was the drive full of oil and is it still full??
I froze up the pinion bearings on the trailer one time and it did the same thing..
That will tell you which way to look.. forward or back ward.. There is bad news in one or the other..
Good luck and let us know.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.