Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
What can cause lack of manifold vacuum? HELP!! >

What can cause lack of manifold vacuum? HELP!!

Notices

What can cause lack of manifold vacuum? HELP!!

Old 08-30-2009, 02:41 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mrfixxall
Any time you start messing with the intake & exhaust ports you usually replace the cam with the flo specs that the cylinder heads produced..did you install roller rockers also? or do you have the non adjustable rockers still?
If your machinest replaced the cam and your still using the stock non adjustable rockers that could be your problem,the valves may not be seating all the way which causes low intake vacume..if you have adjustable rockers,loosen all the rockers 1 full turn and see if you have stronger vacume..if the rockers are clattering try readjusting them ,if theirs weak vacume after your rockers are properly adjusted you dont have the rite cam for your application..

just my o2
They originally had a new cam ground using my old cam and copying it. After having all these problems they ordered a new cam from Mercruiser (using stock specs) and installed it with the same result (low vacuum).
Not sure on the roller rockers but I believe they left everything stock. Since we are using the stock cam specs why would the valves not be seating correctly? What is the fix? To have the heads flow tested and then have a cam ground to match the specs?
Old 08-30-2009, 02:43 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by TWIN-SPINS
take a spray bottle of water,,,,and start spraying it around the intake and exhaust manifolds,,,,i mean get it soaked,,,if there is a leak in the intake,,or exhaust manifold,,,you should be able to tell the difference in engine rmps,,and found your leak,,,this comes from ray at raylar
I dont think this is the problem--the engine has been torn down to a long block twice since this problem occured (the second time the engine was torn down completely and reassembled with the same result of low vacuum).
Old 08-30-2009, 04:36 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

recheck timing chain sprocket alignment. some have two dots on crank sprocket if you use the wrong one it could be the problem.
Old 08-30-2009, 05:27 PM
Registered

Were the throttle plates adjusted for some reason? You cannot adjust the idle with the plates. You may have low vaccuum if the plates are open too far.
Old 08-30-2009, 06:13 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by DORaymond
Were the throttle plates adjusted for some reason? You cannot adjust the idle with the plates. You may have low vaccuum if the plates are open too far.
Throttle plates? This is an EFI motor--not carb or TBI
Old 08-30-2009, 07:03 PM
Registered

Location: Omaha, Nebraska. Boat on the Mighty Mo! Longest river in the USA!
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

This really sounds like late valve timing, with 6" vacuum at idle. Was the cam installed with a degree wheel?

I hate to admit this but I have done this in my youth, I did not have the timing gears lined up correctly and had the exact same results. Now that I am older I ALWAYS degree in the cam on new engines.
Old 08-30-2009, 07:33 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

there is a way to check your timing marks are off,,,by watching your valves move as you set up before and after top dead center,,,i cant remember the exact procedure but some one on here should know,,,,it will save you from pulling the front timing chain cover
Old 08-30-2009, 08:57 PM
Registered

Sounds like your map sensor is either not connected electrically or the vacuum line to feed the map sensor is not connected. Or you have a bad map sensor.
hth's
Old 08-30-2009, 10:18 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

he verified with a gauge, check the coolant temp sensor reading if it is way off it will cause the engine to be excessively rich or lean and also cause the vacuum to go down as the engine will run poorly, next double check and make sure your setting the ignition timing while the ecm is in service mode, also make sure your baro readings are correct for your elevation with the key on engine off, iff all this is ok and theres no leaks, i would pull the timing cover and degree the cam with a degree wheel.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:37 AM
Registered

Throttle plates? This is an EFI motor--not carb or TBI
The MPI has two throttle plates in the intake plunum. They should be closed tight at idle.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.