Crane Rocker Arm Stud Failure

Notices

Crane Rocker Arm Stud Failure

Old 09-01-2009, 03:15 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Thunderstruck
My dyno pulls were with the same springs, different lifters.

Also check to make sure that the pushrods are the correct length, a long shot but it is part of the process.

Don't know about the lift issue with 496 lifters, definitely something to look at there.Yes but then why no problems of insufficient oiling for all those hours? Good point
Thanks. I checked the rocker arm contact point on the valve stem tip using the current push rods and it was dead center when built.

Last edited by Rage; 09-01-2009 at 03:25 PM.
Old 09-01-2009, 03:18 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by TWIN-SPINS
rage i had a lifter go bad ,,,it knocked the push rod off the rocker arm,,,the hydraulic lifter would not compress at all,,,was told it could of broke the stud,,,in my case it didnt
Good point. How does one confirm the function of a hydraulic lifter to determine if one is now defective?
Old 09-01-2009, 03:24 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Thunderstruck
My 502's with Crane hydraulic lifters floated the valves on the dyno at 5600 rpm, just a thought. Morel lifters didn't float up to 6000 (stopped the pulls at 6000).
That is interesting. Do you know if the valves floated with the Crane hydraulic lifters at 5600 rpm because they were pumping up?
Old 09-01-2009, 04:14 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Originally Posted by Rage
That is interesting. Do you know if the valves floated with the Crane hydraulic lifters at 5600 rpm because they were pumping up?
Don't know why but you can definitely see the airflow, tq and hp numbers drop off when the valves float.

Last edited by Thunderstruck; 09-01-2009 at 04:19 PM.
Old 09-01-2009, 04:22 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default mrfixxall

That is very interesting. Exactly how does a hydraulic lifter malfunction so that it would pump up its adjustment length and thereby hold a valve open against the valve spring preload?
oil pressure!! if the retainer clip that holds all the internals in the lifter comes out then the lifter will keep expanding and could cause the valve to hit a piston at higher rpms..
Old 09-01-2009, 05:36 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by mrfixxall
oil pressure!! if the retainer clip that holds all the internals in the lifter comes out then the lifter will keep expanding and could cause the valve to hit a piston at higher rpms..
Good to Know. So if the lifter snap ring is still in place this should not be a problem at present....correct?
Old 09-01-2009, 06:34 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

thats what broke on my lifter,the retaining spring,,,each lifter should be able to be pushed down so far,,,so yea if the clip is there and it is able to push down a little,,,i would say its good,,
Old 09-01-2009, 07:01 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default mrfixxall

Good to Know. So if the lifter snap ring is still in place this should not be a problem at present....correct?
here's a little clip on how a hydrolic lifter works, if the preload is set too far into the lifter theirs no cushion on the valve trane(acts like a solid lifter) thats why i set them 1/4 to 1/2 turn..the more you tighten the rocker at zero lash the less protection..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lorANZ1Tptw

Last edited by FIXX; 09-01-2009 at 07:03 PM.
Old 09-03-2009, 04:20 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

The exterior of my broken stud ( ie the way it was manufactured) looks significantly different from the ARP studs I just bought.
Old 09-03-2009, 08:43 AM
Registered

Happened to me once...aluminum heads at high rpm, I installed stud girdles

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.