496 top end miss?? >

496 top end miss??

Notices

496 top end miss??

Old 08-30-2009, 08:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 496 top end miss??

I recently turned my 454 mag into a 496 stroker at the beginning of this season since the first time i have had it out this year it has missed the last 3 or 400 rpms i started with a 23 prop and could rev to 5100-5200 and missed from 4900 on up as it was hitting the rev limiter , but my engine doewsnt have one , so i went to a 25 prop and changed plugs same thing from 4700 to 4900 it misses then i checked fuel pressure i reused the stock pump at WOT it was between 2-3 lbs so i put a holley 110 gph pump on now im 5-7 lbs but still cuts out ive checked timing again and again set it at 32,34,36 total no change on any of them then i decided for grins i would put a cap and rotor on and check all the wires for resistance all the same tried again not much better , then i decided to take the carb off i got the numbers off it and took it apart its a 800 doulble pumper i cleaned it up put a new power valve in , the back doesnt have a spot for a power valve but bigger jets , the front has 76s in it and rear had 88s , i put 90s in the rear and 1/2 stainless lines and an fittings from tank to carb , ran it today at first it was same thing , when i went to come in i made 2 hard passes and it ran pretty hard and didnt sound like it was missing i ran 5000 rpm with a 25 prop thats the best i have got with it all summer long , not sure if i need to keep playing with the carb or what to do summers getting shorter and would like to get this dialed in before next year
Old 08-31-2009, 04:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess the thing is , I,m just not connvinced its fixed , just wondering if anyone has run into this before