worn distributor gear >

worn distributor gear

Notices

worn distributor gear

Old 09-01-2009, 12:44 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default worn distributor gear

Had my distributor out & noticed the gear is about 80% gone in about 100hrs! I had another gear that seems to be the same style that originally came w/ the distributor when I ran the stock flat tappet cam. This new worn gear should be the harden style for the roller cam. How can you tell the difference between the hardened vs. non-hardened style, there is no stamped part #. Other than assuming this was not a hardened gear to begin with, could anything else cause the gear to wear like this?
Old 09-01-2009, 01:10 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default mrfixxall

Originally Posted by Itsallgood995
Had my distributor out & noticed the gear is about 80% gone in about 100hrs! I had another gear that seems to be the same style that originally came w/ the distributor when I ran the stock flat tappet cam. This new worn gear should be the harden style for the roller cam. How can you tell the difference between the hardened vs. non-hardened style, there is no stamped part #. Other than assuming this was not a hardened gear to begin with, could anything else cause the gear to wear like this?
usually the soft gear is bronze and the hars gear is steel,,check with the cam mfr and see what cam you have and ask them which gear to use...what t block do you have? you may also have some cam walk that is causing the problem..another thing to check is the distributor,,is it a adjustable collered msd ? if its not set rite it will ware the gear..

Last edited by FIXX; 09-01-2009 at 02:00 PM.
Old 09-01-2009, 01:52 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

A buddy just figured out the cause of the same problem....he needed to put a spacer under the distributor, the gear was a little too low
Old 09-01-2009, 03:57 PM
Registered

How did he determine the correct depth to shim the distributor?

I went by a dealer @ lunch & they said it looked like a cast non hardened version. They didn’t have the correct gear in stock so I need to go to another dealer after work to compare.
Old 09-01-2009, 04:13 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default mrfixxall

How did he determine the correct depth to shim the distributor?

I went by a dealer @ lunch & they said it looked like a cast non hardened version. They didn’t have the correct gear in stock so I need to go to another dealer after work to compare.
Do you have a billit roller cam? hyd,,solid ?certain cams use certain distributor gears.
Old 09-01-2009, 04:30 PM
Registered

GM 454HO hyd roller cam
Old 09-02-2009, 12:49 PM
Registered

Three different dealers & three different answers?

The menlonized gear for all crate motors looks the same as the damaged one but also looks to be the same finish as the original flat tappet style. There doesn’t appear to be any visual difference between the two.

The 96-99 7.4l w/ the roller cam has a different finish & smaller diameter shaft bore so its ruled out.

The only thing to try is replace it w/ the melonized crate motor gear & periodically check it? Any way to check or rule out cam walk w/o removing the timing cover?

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...utor-gear.html
Old 09-02-2009, 03:10 PM
Registered

Location: Omaha, Nebraska. Boat on the Mighty Mo! Longest river in the USA!
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Had my distributor out & noticed the gear is about 80% gone in about 100hrs!
I would also be concerened where it went

There was a thread on the same subject in the last two weeks, do a search and I bet you find it.
Old 09-02-2009, 03:18 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have billet cam's in my 502's and I am going to run the new composite gear(apparently designed for billet cam shafts). Hold on to your socks though, $100 per gear! You can buy them from summitracing.com
Old 09-02-2009, 08:10 PM
Registered

Received 1,493 Likes on 807 Posts

Originally Posted by 502ss
I have billet cam's in my 502's and I am going to run the new composite gear(apparently designed for billet cam shafts). Hold on to your socks though, $100 per gear! You can buy them from summitracing.com
WOW, I'll have to check these out. Probably a good investment though. I am facing the same concerns for my new custom Comp grinds (hyd. roller). I was kind of wondering what most were running now also.

I was planning on using the std. ones that came on the TB distributors. I've never had one go bad. I never used anything but. Then again there is something new and knowledge to be gained every day.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.