Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Another Water Flow Big Problem?? >

Another Water Flow Big Problem??

Notices

Another Water Flow Big Problem??

Old 04-04-2002, 07:12 PM
patrick22309

Question Another Water Flow Big Problem??

Started the 260Merc this evening and only had water coming out one pipe. I notice a reduced water flow last week and found the T and these little balls on springs totally plugged. I remove the balls and cleaned everything and when I put it together I adjusted the balls just so they close off the water with no spring pressure. What are those balls and how should they be adjusted.

Old 04-04-2002, 10:35 PM
patrick22309

Default Still Stupified....Long Post

I am new to the merc thing, was a jet man before so I may sound a little stupid. Before I cleaned the T where the balls are they were held open full of crap and I still had some flow out both pipes. After cleaning and putting things back together the flow out one side is gone. I thought maybe I made them tighter than they should be. What is the water flow diagram from the mixer. I have two lines going to the bottoms of each manifold and two lines going to each riser. How does the water flow through the manifold and riser and where do they mix.

Sorry the is so long. I think I need to buy good book.

Old 04-04-2002, 11:26 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

No problem.
The 2 lines from this tee go to the risers. The other 2 lines from the t-stat cover go to the bottom of your exhaust manifolds. When your motor is cold and stat is closed, water will flow thru this tee and to the risers. Once up to temp and stat is open, that path is eliminated and water then goes thru the other 2 lines from the stat cover and then on into the ex. manifolds and on up thru the risers and out the exhaust. The reason this is the normal flow route is to cool the ex. manifolds. You don't want extremely hot manifolds in an enclosed engine compartment.
I assume you have the cast iron stock exhaust? Water flows from the manifold and into the riser at the mating joint thru a gasket. Since you had blockage in the tee and loss of flow thru 1 side, you may have a build up also in this joint. Water is expelled into the exhaust itself at the end of your risers. Are you testing on a garden hose or in the lake? If a garden hose, you just may not have enough flow to evenly flow thru both sides. Check while on the lake. As far as the tee, tighten the nut back up until it stops on the threads. The balls will be held closed under the spring pressure, but will open under water pressure. But they HAVE to be able to open. Only like 20 psi, so not a lot of closed pressure. It's a saftey device.
Jerry
Old 04-05-2002, 07:23 AM
patrick22309

Now young grasshopper understand.... I really appreciate all the help.