Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Trailer brake replacement parts? >

Trailer brake replacement parts?

Notices

Trailer brake replacement parts?

Old 04-05-2002, 08:15 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailer brake replacement parts?

I started the wheel bearing maintenance last night on the trailer.
The bearings look great...no problem..so far...right side only. I found the pads worn and the wheel cylinder has seen it's better day, so I thought I would call the manufacter and order replacement parts. Out of business or closed. I bought the trailer in Oct 99 and have never thought of how to get parts but I 'm stumped. The manufacter was UMI (Unlimited Manufactering Unlimited) out of Manchester Tenn. Are all these brakes generic and depend upon axle size? Drums brakes with surge accuator.
Old 04-05-2002, 08:17 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Get in touch with CAST on the board. He is a very helpfull guy and will be able to help you find what you need. Do not worry all the parts are available for you.

Jon
Old 04-05-2002, 08:36 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have a NAPA near you take in youre old parts and they can fix you up.
Old 04-05-2002, 08:53 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Wink

Stryker,

Not sure what facilities are in your area, but I recently bought some parts for a friend and found that purchasing the entire backing plate, wheel cylinder, drum and shoes was quite cost
effective... The outlet we used was not a retail store but would sell to the individual as well as the retail suppliers... The assembly was only 60% of the cost of the individual parts even though the drums were not a manditory item... Hope this helps...

Karl
Old 04-05-2002, 08:55 AM
Brad Perry

DITTO

Old 04-05-2002, 08:58 AM
Registered

Jon that's re-assuring. I hope Cast might stumble across this thread then..

Birddog- I'll give them a try Sat morning for sure.

Thanks guys.
Old 04-05-2002, 09:05 AM
Registered

Thunder1- What was the company's name and what kind of cost.
I'm not opposed to replacing all equipment but the drum and hub are one in the same and I would assume costly...especially when the drum/hub are very serviceable.
Old 04-05-2002, 09:36 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Wink

Stryker,

We didn't replace the hub and didn't have to replace the drums either... The $45-$50 dollars for the drum, backing plate, cylinder, shoes, springs, bearings and seals is the reason... As I recall the backing plate and such was under $20... I will have to pull the receipt this weekend and give you the name and number on Monday... It is located just North of the Palm Beach Airport... I would also think that you may have a wholesale trailer supply
house in your area... If someone you know builds trailers just
ask them where the are buying their parts...

Karl
Old 04-05-2002, 10:04 AM
Registered

Karl- I 'm looking in the yellow pages and not having much luck but will continue. And at those prices I would replace all hardware. Thanks and I'll post if I find something.

I did call Napa and the guy didn't seem to eager to want to help,but that may be different tommorrow morning.
Old 04-05-2002, 12:27 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Wink

Stryker,

That is exactly what I have experienced in the past here and it definitely save time, effort and cleaning resource not to mention many hours in the parts store trying to figure out what the heck the manufacturer did... As previously mentioned if you can speak to someone who builds trailers I am quite sure they will give you the information... At the end of the day about every 2-3 years we just replace the major block of parts and it sure makes life easier... Keep me posted...

Tnx, Karl

Quick Reply: Trailer brake replacement parts?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.