Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Gold Member Gold Member
    My Boats:
    1997 24 Baja Outlaw

Pulling engine - need plans for building a Gantry out of wood?

I plan to pull my engine out of my boat this fall while on the trailer. 25 foot baja outlaw. Does anyone have plans and or pictures of a gantry/engine hoist made of wood? I read on the forums here that some people have made them out of 2 - 4x4x12, 2 - 2X10X10, and 2 - 2x8x8 and some 2x4's. I was just wondering if someone had plans our could describe how it is constructured. Maybe even pictures? I would like to put it together with carriage bolts so I can take it apart when I'm done.

Registered
    My Boats:
    77 donzi x18 92 formula 336 sr1

mrfixxall

Quote Originally Posted by FBRONCO View Post
    I plan to pull my engine out of my boat this fall while on the trailer. 25 foot baja outlaw. Does anyone have plans and or pictures of a gantry/engine hoist made of wood? I read on the forums here that some people have made them out of 2 - 4x4x12, 2 - 2X10X10, and 2 - 2x8x8 and some 2x4's. I was just wondering if someone had plans our could describe how it is constructured. Maybe even pictures? I would like to put it together with carriage bolts so I can take it apart when I'm done.
    by the time you purchase the wood,waste time going to get the wood,all day building the gantry then when your done with it its ging to sit around and rot..hire a tow truck with a extended boom and pay him 75 bucks and you dont have to store this big ugly wooden thing

Platinum Member Platinum Member 1BIGJIM's Avatar
    My Boats:
    Pachanga Twin 502s Bob Mandra Cams
    Omaha, Nebraska. Boat on the Mighty Mo! Longest river in the USA!
    I second pay for a boom truck. I had to replace one of my engines last month (had a spare that saved boating season). and this is what I used.

Its nice to have friends with these kinds of toy's. 30 minutes from the time he showed up to the time he left. Old engine out, new engine sitting in engine compartment.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Boats:
    94 43SC Black Thunder
    I rent a forklift from the nearby rental shop. 100.00 a shot.

Registered
    My Boats:
    94 32' Fever, 81 30' Shadow Cat
    I use pallet racking, back under a 9ft section then hoist. Actually works quite well.

Registered
    My Boats:
    2001 Baja Hammer
    I just called a tow truck. Told him what I wanted to do and had it ready to come out when he got there. He came with a truck that the boom could extend. He was gone within 15 minutes. Cost 80 bucks.

Registered
    are you in upstate NY or around LI area
    if around LI area I have a friend with a tow truck that will charge pretty cheap to do it
    he just did mine about 1 month ago
    its the way to go,
    building the gantry is going to cost a good amount, not to mention the time you spend putting it together

My Boats:
    Beat up ole Sleekcraft

Alien No shade tree?

If ya plant the oak seedling now how many years till the tree is big enough

Gold Member Gold Member
    My Boats:
    1997 24 Baja Outlaw
    I'm in upstate NY. I guess I would like to have something that I could use as needed. Not needing to depend on anyone. Any one use the Engine hoist with the long arms on them? Are they tall enough to get over the transom? Mine is just under 6' on the trailer.

jfm
    Registered
    My Boats:
    25' Tug
    My father bought one, all steal, from norther or harbor freight. He used it once and now it just sits in a big pile. He keeps trying to give it to me cause I have the garage to store it in. Lucky me

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast