Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Pulling engine - need plans for building a Gantry out of wood? >

Pulling engine - need plans for building a Gantry out of wood?

Notices

Pulling engine - need plans for building a Gantry out of wood?

Old 09-09-2009, 08:43 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Pulling engine - need plans for building a Gantry out of wood?

I plan to pull my engine out of my boat this fall while on the trailer. 25 foot baja outlaw. Does anyone have plans and or pictures of a gantry/engine hoist made of wood? I read on the forums here that some people have made them out of 2 - 4x4x12, 2 - 2X10X10, and 2 - 2x8x8 and some 2x4's. I was just wondering if someone had plans our could describe how it is constructured. Maybe even pictures? I would like to put it together with carriage bolts so I can take it apart when I'm done.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:43 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default mrfixxall

Originally Posted by FBRONCO
I plan to pull my engine out of my boat this fall while on the trailer. 25 foot baja outlaw. Does anyone have plans and or pictures of a gantry/engine hoist made of wood? I read on the forums here that some people have made them out of 2 - 4x4x12, 2 - 2X10X10, and 2 - 2x8x8 and some 2x4's. I was just wondering if someone had plans our could describe how it is constructured. Maybe even pictures? I would like to put it together with carriage bolts so I can take it apart when I'm done.
by the time you purchase the wood,waste time going to get the wood,all day building the gantry then when your done with it its ging to sit around and rot..hire a tow truck with a extended boom and pay him 75 bucks and you dont have to store this big ugly wooden thing
Old 09-09-2009, 12:08 PM
Registered

Location: Omaha, Nebraska. Boat on the Mighty Mo! Longest river in the USA!
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

I second pay for a boom truck. I had to replace one of my engines last month (had a spare that saved boating season). and this is what I used.

Its nice to have friends with these kinds of toy's. 30 minutes from the time he showed up to the time he left. Old engine out, new engine sitting in engine compartment.
Attached Thumbnails Pulling engine - need plans for building a Gantry out of wood?-crane_01.jpg  
Old 09-09-2009, 01:06 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I rent a forklift from the nearby rental shop. 100.00 a shot.
Old 09-09-2009, 01:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use pallet racking, back under a 9ft section then hoist. Actually works quite well.
Old 09-09-2009, 08:59 PM
Registered

I just called a tow truck. Told him what I wanted to do and had it ready to come out when he got there. He came with a truck that the boom could extend. He was gone within 15 minutes. Cost 80 bucks.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:41 PM
Registered

are you in upstate NY or around LI area
if around LI area I have a friend with a tow truck that will charge pretty cheap to do it
he just did mine about 1 month ago
its the way to go,
building the gantry is going to cost a good amount, not to mention the time you spend putting it together
Old 09-10-2009, 03:46 AM

No shade tree?

If ya plant the oak seedling now how many years till the tree is big enough
Old 09-10-2009, 09:48 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm in upstate NY. I guess I would like to have something that I could use as needed. Not needing to depend on anyone. Any one use the Engine hoist with the long arms on them? Are they tall enough to get over the transom? Mine is just under 6' on the trailer.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:23 AM
jfm
Registered

My father bought one, all steal, from norther or harbor freight. He used it once and now it just sits in a big pile. He keeps trying to give it to me cause I have the garage to store it in. Lucky me

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.