Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Heads 049 vs. AFR 265 oval >

Heads 049 vs. AFR 265 oval

Notices

Heads 049 vs. AFR 265 oval

Old 09-12-2009, 08:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how much power are you looking to make honestly ?

Those 049's will make over 600hp if theyre ported properly and everything is setup correctly around them,

The AFR's are nice but I wouldnt want to sacrifice any bottom end parts etc. in the budget to pay for the heads, unless your shooting for a really high hp number like over 700 or 800 on only 427 inches and pumps gas,

The large oval port heads work very well,
what did Bob suggest when you spoke to him ?
Old 09-12-2009, 08:33 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by endeavour32
After talking to Bob Mandara today I think I'm going with a set of the new AFR 265 ovals. However I have a line on a set of rebuilt 049 heads complete with new valves and comp cams springs, as well as a set of comp cams roller tip rockers for $400.00. The AFR's are better I know that but they're $2000.00. The biggest reason for the AFRs is that I can run higher compression than the iron heads... My static compression is going to be around 9.5 and I'm a bit worried that will be a little high for the iron heads. This is a going to be on a 427 big block, std deck. What are some opinions on this?
Bob knows his stuff, good move getting your cam from him. He will give you good advice. Call him and ask him if he thinks the heads will work. I have a 489 stroker engine with large oval 820's. I have run mine up to 5600 RPM and it still wanted to keep going. On my setup Bob said to prop it for 5400 RPM. Good luck with your project!!
Old 09-12-2009, 08:46 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

It seemed that bobs main concern was my compression ratio with the iron head which will be around 9.5:1 or so. A couple of other members said they have safely run over 10:1, so I guess the compression thing really isn't an issue. Bob didn't say anything bad about the 049's, he just seemed really pumped on this new 265 head and AFR in general. The 049 heads I can get have bigger valves and are gasket matched. My brother is more than able to clean up the ports so that would be a very cheap improvement. As to the bottom end, I already have everything everything is forged, all the machine work is done. I just need to put it together. As for power I'm just trying to get to around 550 hp. Nothing crazy.
Old 09-12-2009, 08:55 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

550 hp can easily be done with those heads 9.5 to 1 compression and the proper cam, intake, and carb, exhaust selection on pump gas

you will end up saving yourself a lot of money by going this way

if you need someone to do more than just cleanup work on the porting, I have a local guy that is very reasonable on price for porting and excellant at it if your interested

he just did a set of 23 degree non raised runner heads on a sbc motor 406 cubic inches, solid roller cam, pump gas motor regular 93 octane,
motor made over 670 hp
pm me if you need his info
his prices are great
Old 10-04-2015, 09:42 AM
Registered

Received 177 Likes on 114 Posts

Old post but which head did you go with? Why? and What were your results? Any second thoughts on your decision?
Looking forward to hearing your results. Thank you
Old 10-04-2015, 12:49 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

Didn't have time to read the whole thread and don't know if it was discussed or not but ... I have a set of the 049 on a shelf that I planned on finding a project for. Gave them the once over and then measured the CC ......123.
I've seen them listed from 109cc to the 120's but everyone that posted that they did measure theirs have found them all in the 120's.
Not knowing and the wrong pistons will make a dog of a motor.