Heads 049 vs. AFR 265 oval >

Heads 049 vs. AFR 265 oval

Notices

Heads 049 vs. AFR 265 oval

Old 09-11-2009, 10:22 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Heads 049 vs. AFR 265 oval

After talking to Bob Mandara today I think I'm going with a set of the new AFR 265 ovals. However I have a line on a set of rebuilt 049 heads complete with new valves and comp cams springs, as well as a set of comp cams roller tip rockers for $400.00. The AFR's are better I know that but they're $2000.00. The biggest reason for the AFRs is that I can run higher compression than the iron heads... My static compression is going to be around 9.5 and I'm a bit worried that will be a little high for the iron heads. This is a going to be on a 427 big block, std deck. What are some opinions on this?
Old 09-11-2009, 11:37 PM
Registered

Received 1,491 Likes on 806 Posts

you will definately make more power with the AFR's. you can make the 049's flow well however buy the time you spend the money to do so you'll probably be further ahead to go the other route. As far as the compression goes i have run that for years with iron heads and never had any issues. i would however always try and fill with 93 when ever possible. with todays fuels though i'm not 100% sure. that is a good deal on the 049's if all the parts are in good shape. if you have the extra $$$ to spend i think you know what the answer is going to be. sounds like you may just need a little push...LOL

see you soon.
john
Old 09-11-2009, 11:42 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can buy the AFR's and I am sure they will really wake things up. THat little engine you are building is going to be a screamer.

I have several engines out there running 10- 10.2:1 on iron heads with no problems. Make sure you use 93 octane and a conservative timing setting though.
Old 09-12-2009, 03:47 PM
Registered

The heads have 2.19/1.88 valves installed in them and they have less than 1000 miles on them. Am I going to see that big a difference between the two. One of the car mags did a comparison between peanut ports and aftermarket and there was a difference of 80 hp once you got way up in the rpm's. However we all know peanut ports stink past 4500 rpms. I just don't know if an extra $1600 is worth 20 hp if thats all it is? Here is the link to the test:

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...ads/index.html
Old 09-12-2009, 04:45 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

An 049 is NOT a peanut port head... THere is a distinct difference between the 2.

I have had nothing but good luck with the 049 head, but if you have the dough, why not go with new.
Old 09-12-2009, 05:06 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by jeff1000man
An 049 is NOT a peanut port head... THere is a distinct difference between the 2.

I have had nothing but good luck with the 049 head, but if you have the dough, why not go with new.
I know the 049 isn't a peanut port. What I was trying to say is if a sub par peanut port is within 20 hp or so up to 4500, the 049 should be very close to the AFR, dart, ect. Now the afr is going to be 80 lbs lighter, so that does matter some, plus I can run higher compression. As far as cash goes I do have a budget and could make the AFR's work in to that but that means something else is going to have to give. So I guess what is going to be the biggest benefit of the AFR's? Stronger midrange? better top end? better fuel efficiency? If I'm only going to see a 1-2 mph gain on top end, I guess in my opinion thats not worth $1600 right now. But if I get everything I listed above, well that is beginning to make it worth spending the extra $$$$ plus like you said there new! I just don't want to pass up a good deal, on the same hand I don't want to be cheap and regret it later. Thanks for the insight so far.
Old 09-12-2009, 06:04 PM
Registered

If you not looking to tear back into it any time soon go the AFR or even DART. The engine your building sounds like it's going to be spinning some R's. In that case I would go the bigger runner size know rather than going through all the other work and then not being satisfied because the 049's die off after 5,500. If you do this know you'll never regret it.

My opinion any way.
As far as the other parts go, continue to look for used. Things like your intake and carb alone you can save over 500.00 on used. You may even want to post for a set of heads in the wanted section. Plus keep a close eye on the swap shop. This time of year many people start on next your's rebuilds / upgrades. Regardless of what way you decide to go with on the heads I would invest the money in good valves though.
Old 09-12-2009, 06:57 PM
Registered

John-
Its good to know that the 049's will die off after 5500. In that case they won't work! Bob wants to spin this to 6200-6300. So I will be way over 5500. Unfortunately its going to be real hard to find a set of 265 AFR's used. They were just release last month, but you never know. But I do agree I can make up the difference buying some of the other parts I need used. Any word on your darts?
Old 09-12-2009, 07:57 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by endeavour32
John-
Its good to know that the 049's will die off after 5500. In that case they won't work! Bob wants to spin this to 6200-6300. So I will be way over 5500. Unfortunately its going to be real hard to find a set of 265 AFR's used. They were just release last month, but you never know. But I do agree I can make up the difference buying some of the other parts I need used. Any word on your darts?
you'll be doing the right thing with your choice of heads. i realize what your saying on the used 265's as they are very new. i had forgotten those were the ones you were going with. what did bob say about the 049's? he would certainly know more than i. i know you can get those things to flow pretty good however unless your doing the work, you'd have a lot of money into having them done. your going to have a unique package and i certainly wouldn't hold back on the heads. i hear you in regards to the budget though. i planned on using the 049's up until the last minute. i hope we have a good fall. what are you going to do about exhaust? i hope it's nice, loud and ratty. we need a little more of that up here. i look forward to meeting you sometime soon. for the longest time i thought i was the only gear head up here. i'm glad i finally have someone i get relate to. most sail boaters and fisherman don't really dig my **** much... LOL

as far as my heads go i hope all will be solved and back together by next weekend. i probably shouldn't have really said anything until the matter was solved. i am not one to get worked up about a whole lot but for some reason this deal just set me off. at this point i have to give them the benifit of the doubt until proven otherwise.

when are you coming up next?

i measured up the pushrod lengths today and will be ordering them on monday.
Old 09-12-2009, 08:29 PM
Registered

I'm not sure what I'm doing for exhaust yet. I'm thinking about going with a dana set up. Headers would be cool but there's no way I can swing that this year. Plus exhaust can be easily changed.

Its funny what you about sailboaters. I have a sailboat as well, it's an Endeavour 32, hence my name on here. I got a lot of slack when I bought the Formula this spring from all but one of my sailboat friends? If you get around to starting the boat tomorrow let me know I'll be up here until around 2 tomorrow.

Last edited by endeavour32; 09-12-2009 at 08:36 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.