Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Michigan Motorz 5.7 MPI? >

Michigan Motorz 5.7 MPI?

Notices

Michigan Motorz 5.7 MPI?

Old 10-24-2009, 03:52 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The PCMs seem to have a really good attention to detail, but no 5.7 in their current lineup that I can see and I don't want to settle for anything less than 300 hp per side, nor can I get too exciting and do something like strokers as I don't want to toast by new alpha drives (though they do have a 3-year warranty for 300 hp, so I'd like to be right at that if possible.)
Old 10-25-2009, 01:04 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sonic30ss
I'm running two of the PCM 350 complete carb to oil pan motors. Well over 240 hrs many of them pretty hard 4500+ rpm for over an hour at a time. Start right up no smoke no knock 40 psi oil pressure at idle and don't leak or burn oil between changes. I'm happy with them
I'm sorry - in my previous reply I didn't realize crusader and pcm were the same company / sister companies. Doh!

I wonder what the differences are/were between the no longer available PCM 350 and the crusader 350 sterndrive drop in?

Who would take the http://www.pleasurecraft.com/PEG_Pre...sterndrive.pdf 330hp@5000rpm Multi-Port Fuel Injection crusader over a mercruiser 357 magnum mercruiser-remanufacturered carb engine. With the crusader, I'd need to use my existing alternator, pullies, bell housing/coupler; the cost of the pair of crusaders would be about $800 more, but would give multiport fuel injection and all new base engine. But the Mercruiser is a mercruiser...

Last edited by island2; 10-25-2009 at 01:11 PM.
Old 10-30-2009, 05:19 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 132 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by island2
I'm sorry - in my previous reply I didn't realize crusader and pcm were the same company / sister companies. Doh!

I wonder what the differences are/were between the no longer available PCM 350 and the crusader 350 sterndrive drop in?

Who would take the http://www.pleasurecraft.com/PEG_Pre...sterndrive.pdf 330hp@5000rpm Multi-Port Fuel Injection crusader over a mercruiser 357 magnum mercruiser-remanufacturered carb engine. With the crusader, I'd need to use my existing alternator, pullies, bell housing/coupler; the cost of the pair of crusaders would be about $800 more, but would give multiport fuel injection and all new base engine. But the Mercruiser is a mercruiser...
If you have your heart set on EFI then that is what you have to go with. After I popped a motor I called 1800runsnew ordered two of the carb to oil pan roller cam, vortec head 350's swapped my accesorys (replaced the couplers while in there) rejetted the carbs and was back in the water for around 7K in 4 days doing all the work myself. Based on how the boat runs they are making around 315 reliable horsepower with an average fuel burn of 9 gph each.
I run M-1 15-40 and change @ 25 hrs, I've got Alpha SS drives and they hold up fine with 10 hr oil changes and Merc green oil, 10 hrs is proably overkill but it's cheaper than blowing a drive.
Old 01-23-2011, 01:37 PM
Registered

Island 2 I find myself in pretty much the same scenario as you. Just curious what did you end up doing, who did you purchase from? Did you go with MPI or carb? How did you make out?
Old 02-28-2013, 01:06 PM
Registered

Angry Michigan Motorz

Run like he!! from these guys. I bought a 7.4L crate engine in 2010. Broke down within 1 hr. run time. They would not replace but only repair. I had it repaired and put back into boat. Engine started banging after less than 1 hour. They had the motor for 8 months and did not want to give me a warranty replacement. They finally agreed and I again installed. Engine began knocking after an 11 mile river run. Called Michigan Motorz and he does not want anything else to do with the engine or me. I had it torn down and discovered 3 tight crank bearings that were seizing. Also checked the serial numbers on the block against the original engine...same numbers. It was not replaced at all. These folks have no integrity or honesty. Runnnnnn!!!!!!
Old 02-28-2013, 08:11 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

I know nothing of them, but as a rule I don't do business with anyone who spells using Zs instead of S in their name. Did a 14-year-old name them?
Old 02-28-2013, 10:13 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 224 Likes on 129 Posts

I've bought a couple 5.7's and a 4.3 from them whenever
someone drags me in a "freezer" that needs a new engine and never had any problems with what I've gotten from them.