Need Cam Advice >

Need Cam Advice

Notices

Need Cam Advice

Old 09-16-2009, 07:39 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Need Cam Advice

Freshened up 330hp 454's. Stainless Marine Exhaust. Airgap intakes and Edelbrock 750cfm carbs sitting the box waiting to be installed. Not looking to go roller right now. 30' Heavy A** Scarab. Topping out around 60mph. What's about the best cam I can run? What other info did I leave out that's needed to help answer my question?

Thanks
Bill
Old 09-16-2009, 07:52 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default mrfixxall

Originally Posted by areyouliving
Freshened up 330hp 454's. Stainless Marine Exhaust. Airgap intakes and Edelbrock 750cfm carbs sitting the box waiting to be installed. Not looking to go roller right now. 30' Heavy A** Scarab. Topping out around 60mph. What's about the best cam I can run? What other info did I leave out that's needed to help answer my question?

Thanks
Bill
the guy you want to talk to is Bob Madara of Marine Kinetics in New York. 585-654-8583..
He will hook you up with the rite cam selection,to you he may be confusing but bare with him,he knows his chit and will give you the best bang for your buck,when he grinds his cams he uses the best cam blanks money can buy...no junk ..

Last edited by FIXX; 09-16-2009 at 08:18 PM.
Old 09-16-2009, 07:53 PM
Chris
Gold Member

x2 for Bob Maderia

Chris
Old 09-16-2009, 09:36 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

x3 for Bob, I would recomend a roller over flat tappet. Spend the money you will not regret it.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:46 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would advice strongly against a flat tappet.
The lifters and flat tappet camshafts these days are not what
they used to be and most modern oils do not have the neccesary additives to run a flat tappet.
I didnt listen and I learned the hard way, dont follow my mistake..
Old 09-16-2009, 10:55 PM
Registered

Default mrfixxall

and if you do deside to go flat tappet make sure you use crower cam saver lifters..
Old 09-17-2009, 09:53 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for all the answers,
To convert to a roller setup I pretty much need to replace my heads right? Or re-stud them etc.....
Old 09-17-2009, 09:59 AM
Registered

Default mrfixxall

Originally Posted by areyouliving
Thanks for all the answers,
To convert to a roller setup I pretty much need to replace my heads right? Or re-stud them etc.....
all you need is the retrofit lifters with the tiebar that keep the lifters from spinning,camshaft,adjustable rocker arms and probably pushrods..If your heads have screw in studs then your set,if their non adjustable then all you need to do is get a set of rocker arm studs from arp(only) ....
Old 09-17-2009, 06:07 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

You will need the cam, lifters, springs, retainers, locks, pushrods, rocker studs, roller rockers. Depending on the version of block you have you may need a timing cover. Camshaft endplay will need to be adjusted. I just went through all of this this spring, do a search for "Roller Cam Upgrade". If you use Bob for your cam he will help you on all the matching components.
Old 09-17-2009, 07:35 PM
Registered

Received 1,206 Likes on 579 Posts

Your heads will be the restrictive portion to making power. The exhaust up grade will help. I would get something similar to the Merc 420 flat tappet cam if you don't want to spring the extra $1200+ for the Hydraulic roller setup. Its kinda do you want to go Hyd roller later or now. You might be able to get away with your existing springs that are in your heads now, but you would need someone to set them up for the 420 cam. But after going through all this you still might not notice any power difference. What heads do you have on your boat now?? casting #'s? that would help out.
If they are the restrictive peanut port, I wouldn't do it until you got new heads.
Also on a side note, I think, hotter cams usually like a little more compression.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.