Your expert opionion >

Your expert opionion

Notices

Your expert opionion

Old 09-18-2009, 08:33 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Your expert opionion

I'm asking for your opionion of those who have traversed through many years of offshores and understands my question. I have spent many years on friends boats from 29 ft powerplays 12 years ago too 44 ft Nordic's today. I finally want to own my own boat but I'm torn from not really known what to buy. I want a fast boat 90-140 mph but I doubt that most of my time would be spent any faster than cruising at 60 to hammering at 90mph. I would probably never do any poker runs other than local. So my thinking is why buy a go fast 90 plus boat if your not running pokers. If the slower speads may eat gas (less than crusing speed for high hp motors) and cause engine problems. If I could be happy with 80 plus and 500efi's or 525 sc's would that be my best choice or go for the fastest boat I can afford even if I don't use the hp's like some might.

Dave
Old 09-18-2009, 09:31 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like a 24-26' cat and a couple of big outboards would cover all your bases
Old 09-19-2009, 02:15 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Pick a budget and go from there. There are a lot of boats that will run 80+ with 500hp + per side.
Old 09-19-2009, 06:19 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

First, How many people do you want to take, do you need a cabin, are you going to stay on it at night, where are you going to keep it, do you have cat experience from an insurance perspective, is the cost of insurance a major factor to you. Do you wrench on your stuff or do you have to depend on marine mechanics. What are the conditions that you boat in. Answer some of these questions and it will narrow the field. Lots of choices out there have fun. You could just be like a lot of us with boat "problems" and get multiple boats. I have 5. Eric
Old 09-19-2009, 10:36 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default mrfixxall

if your in the market for a boat start out with a affortible boat t omake sure you really want one..get use to a lower speeds and go from their..Dont go out and but a 140 mph cat if your not use to the water,ever at 80 **** happens fast so get use to a mild boat first then wait a few years and move up from their..

ok im not a boat salesman but i know of a formuls 311 sr1,the guy tommy passed away and his widow is trying to sell his boat so if your looking for a good deal on a boat this might be somthing in your budget..he just spent 30k on it having every thing rebuilt including the 600 hp 496 (approx 80 hrs)motors to the trs outdrives..the boat will do 80 mph,if i wasnt redoing my big project it would be sitting in my driveway..its a good deal at 22k and its in the classifieds forsale section..

http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...o30340-en.html

Just my o2..