#6 steering problem >

#6 steering problem

Notices

#6 steering problem

Old 09-20-2009, 04:54 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default #6 steering problem

Hello everybody - I am new to OSO and could really use some help.

I am installing a new set of #6 drives, single hi-volume power steering pump, dual filters (hi-pressure and low-pressure), std char-lynn helm.

1st question: drive hose routing can be two ways and I do not know which is correct. Left and Right hoses from helm to drives can either tee and go to each drive, or can run hoses in series (ie. L hose to stbd drive left, stbd drive right to port drive left, port drive right back to helm)

2nd question: when running pump, steering wheel stays still until slight pressure is applied, then it starts turning by itself all the way to stop. Does the helm have a valve that could be sticking? I have not tried this with the cap off the resevoir - could the system not be venting properly and the pressure is turning the helm?

Thx for any suggestions!
Old 09-20-2009, 07:49 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Not sure....However, aren't there two parts to the helm, one part, lines/fluid to right and left. The other part, tank/return and pressure.

The first part moves fluid to two hydraulic cylinders on each of the two drives. The second part serves to provide fluid under pressure to turn the helm/first part under command. The command is made/given when the helm is operator turned in the desired direction.

Not sure about what was just said....perhaps someone else can/will explain further....I would like to know more about how the system works myself.
Old 09-21-2009, 11:54 AM
Registered

Talking

sounds like 1 crossed line to me.

charlyn helm pressure (P)

Tank(T) or return where filter should be then to puke tank

left right look on the latham site or cp I think it shows blueprint and flow.
Old 09-21-2009, 12:24 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Thank you for the reply, but hoses are connected properly. Checked, re-checked, then checked again. I am thinking the spool is sticking in the Char Lynn pump, but hate to remove if this is a pressure problem.

How do the lines run to your Six drives? Is it left from helm to left on stbd, to left on port (same on right side). Or is it left from helm to left on stbd, right on stbd to left on port, right on port back to helm?
Old 09-21-2009, 05:49 PM
Registered

Are you having the same problem?
Old 09-22-2009, 09:48 AM
Registered

I had the exact same problem when I installed hyd. steering for twin #3 drives. I swore they were connected correctly and checked many times. After many hours it turned out that lines to the rams were incorrectly routed off of the distribution valve (2 lines in from the helm and 4 lines out to the rams).

Left and right output from the helm does not reference port and standard drives. Just which line is "pressurized" when turning the wheel. Draw a simple picture of the whole system and pay attention to which way the rams have to extend when drives turn left or right. Is pressure pushing the ram out or in (one ram is always extended and the other retracted when turning).

Bottom line - when I first hooked up all the lines it seemed very logical (first time I had ever worked with hyd steering). After I drew a picture and thought about the rams I changed 2 hoses on 1 ram it worked smooth as butter.

Good luck.
Old 09-24-2009, 04:42 PM
Registered

Problem solved. Char lynn had stuck shuttle valve. I used some Hops gun cleaner and a rifle bore brush to clean valve bore, reassembled, and steering is perfect.