Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Anyone used tent for temporary boat storage??? >

Anyone used tent for temporary boat storage???

Notices

Anyone used tent for temporary boat storage???

Old 09-21-2009, 11:24 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Anyone used tent for temporary boat storage???

I have been looking at these party tents for storage of my boat this winter. Reason being is I am building a shop next year for it so I just need something temporary. Also I was going to pay the storage place 60 a month to store a 31ft boat. That comes up to about $420 I will pay him from now until spring. I found these party tents for like $500. So why not make an investment in something I could possibly use for get togethers in the future. Has anyone used these or have any suggestions on companies to use? Just an idea.
Old 09-21-2009, 11:32 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Attach the legs together with 2 x4's and electrical clamps to make it stronger. I have used a plastic tent before and it worked great. Carried a heavy snow load too.
Old 09-21-2009, 02:07 PM
rv
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The UV from the sun destroys the plastic tarp over time. It will be good for your one season but basically shot after that for your 'future' parties. Pay for the storage, you will be fully enclosed. After all invested in your boat a few hundred to keep inside is a good investment.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:55 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've used the tent type canopies for years to store my boat year round. The cover only needed to be replaced about every 3years. There are different weights of material though, the heavier the weight, ie. 9oz vs 12oz, the longer it will last. The main drawback I found with mine is I have to knock snow off of it or risk it collapsing. Oh by the way, the brand is King Canopy.
Old 10-23-2009, 10:30 AM
Registered

Default Shelte Logic

I am thinking of using one by www.ShelterLogic.com I am waiting for them to get back to me but it seems like a good alternative to use until I free up some building space. It has front and rear doors so I can drive through, and you can use tyvex on the ground as a vapor barrier, not the coolest thing around but good enough while I'm waiting for some room in the building. It's portable so I can use it for other things also like a 5th wheel camper. Also 10 year cover warranty on the Heavy duty and Ultra heavy Duty covers, you gotta love that!
Old 10-23-2009, 10:40 AM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

I have used a shelterlogic cover for 5-6 years.....10 yr warranty my azz. In 3-4 years it starts to deteriorate from the sun and drip so I've already replaced the cover. Still better than leaving it outside but full sun will eat these things up!!!

old pics with old boat but you get the picture. I've since added shelves at cockpit height so everything I might need is stored right beside the boat when I'm standing IN IT!!! You must put plastic down to keep condensation from making it "rain" inside these things during the summer....they get very hot inside.
Attached Thumbnails Anyone used tent for temporary boat storage???-dscf0036-medium-.jpg   Anyone used tent for temporary boat storage???-dscf0037-medium-.jpg  
Old 10-23-2009, 12:49 PM
Registered

Default t500hp

What size is that shelter? What thickness is the cover? any other thoughts for storage shelters or manufacturers?
Old 10-23-2009, 02:02 PM
Registered

You'd probably be better off taking that $500 and putting it towards having a good cover made. I guess it depends how much snow you get in Kentucky but up here, you'd be lucky to make it through the winter with one of those tents.
Old 10-23-2009, 02:06 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by dicdik
What size is that shelter? What thickness is the cover? any other thoughts for storage shelters or manufacturers?

It's a 14 x 42 x 15 tall with 10oz material. (roughly $2K delivered 5 years ago). It does have galvanized 2.38 pipe instead of powder coated 2in pipe. I also bought 22 anchors for every vertical pipe to secure it to the ground well. The A frame is cheaper than a round house but I think might be part of the reason it doesn't last as long. If you can get the round house type I would recomend trying that style instead. The newer materials have a "blackout" liner that supposedly makes them last longer...from what I've seen so far I don't know if it will actually last any longer (too new). It has been through 45-55mph storms and although I was really sweating the wind, it survived without issue......I did take a 16ft 2x4 and make a bracing system to run from the top of the "A" into the ground to help brace the 14 ft wide span against wind (also really seems to help). It's snowed 6-9 in on this several times and I usually take a broom inside and shake the top until the snow load slides off.....a round style probably won't hold any snow.

I recently got approval to build a "real" garage in my yard but just don't have the $$$. If this one craps out on me anytime soon I will just buy another cover...the frame looks like it could last a very long time.

Last edited by t500hps; 10-23-2009 at 02:09 PM.
Old 10-23-2009, 02:48 PM
Registered

Default t500hp

I just got off the phone with ShelterLogic. They qouted me $2070.00 for the Round 14x44x12 with the 14.5oz cover plus S&H. Any color cover. I have a place in New Jersey and Destin Fl, and I thought it would be cool to have a somewhat mobile structure to keep it in when I am there for extended periods of time, but still kicking the idea around.

Thanx for the info.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.