Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
New power with vid >

New power with vid

Notices

New power with vid

Old 09-29-2009, 08:50 PM
Registered

Received 1,492 Likes on 807 Posts

sounds nice. i should be floor running my 496's this weekend. i'll do a post with a couple of videos also.

how did your stands do with your engines running? i was going to do the same thing however was a little leary of it flipping on the side. be sure and let me know how it worked out and if you would reinforce anything. i'll be it was hard for you not to crack the throttle all the way.

looks and sounds great. any leaks? i think this is always a good idea regardless.

john
Old 09-29-2009, 09:07 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The stand worked fine, I used a rachet strap on each side to the truck and a fixed point in the garage. It didnt seem like it wanted to flip over at all, but I didnt rev it too hard.

I am glad you liked the string on the throttle, I waas pretty proud of myself with that one. I got the last coat of paint sprayed and will post a short vid in a little while.
Old 09-29-2009, 10:21 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by tx911
The stand worked fine, I used a rachet strap on each side to the truck and a fixed point in the garage. It didnt seem like it wanted to flip over at all, but I didnt rev it too hard.

I am glad you liked the string on the throttle, I waas pretty proud of myself with that one. I got the last coat of paint sprayed and will post a short vid in a little while.
good work on the fastening down and especially the string. i was going to pull the throttle and cable off the push mower and do some rigging but hey the string got the job done. i thought about building a small podiem and mount an oil temp and pressure gauge along with a starter / toggle switch. i didn't go back and look however it looked like you just ran a garden hose to your xover???

i thought about that however i kind of wanted to run the sea pump and all other water lines as i am using the trs plate coolers and everything is new/used so i just want to be assured there are no leaks back there. also all my remote oil lines.

stay in touch,
john
Old 09-29-2009, 10:44 PM
Registered

I went low tech, I used a compression guage with the core valve removed to watch the oil pressure , worked great. I thought the old barstool and 100mile an hour tape made a classy coil holder. I didnt worry about the oil temp, under no load mine will not build any oil temp any how.
Here is a quick clip of the pain, hope you like traffis cone orange.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=740Nn6CkRoU
Old 09-30-2009, 12:53 AM
Registered

nice looking motor great job.
Old 09-30-2009, 05:03 PM
Registered

I went low tech, I used a compression guage with the core valve removed to watch the oil pressure , worked great. I thought the old barstool and 100mile an hour tape made a classy coil holder. I didnt worry about the oil temp, under no load mine will not build any oil temp any how.
Here is a quick clip of the pain, hope you like traffis cone orange.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=740Nn6CkRoU

now your talking... get on it........ you just teased us with your other utubes. and to think i was worried about my 496's taking off accros the garage floor on their side. LOL

i'll be sure and post my floor test run over the weekend. we can compare the idle of our cams. (king of the drive in contest) LOL...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llpVB5QJ2HM&NR=1

Last edited by getrdunn; 09-30-2009 at 05:05 PM.
Old 10-01-2009, 06:32 PM
Registered

Cant wait to see you videos getrdunn
Old 10-01-2009, 08:55 PM
Registered

Cant wait to see you videos getrdunn
i am getting close. should be this weekend for sure. what is your duration and lobe sep?

i went a little harry for 496's on the cams. sounds like we might be close on grinds.

if must admit i always like the sound of a good cam. LOL...
i mine sound close to yours i'll be happy. by the sound of your carb you got that pretty dialed in also. that thing is crisp...
Old 10-01-2009, 10:10 PM
Registered

My cam is really not that big, it is 302/310 advertised duration and 114LSA. It is degreed to 110.5. I have not messed with the carb too much yet, it is a 950 proform body with quick fuel blocks and base.
I could go bigger on the cam with the dry exhaust and I may try it, but you have to pretty much go solid roller and I am not sure if I am ready for that.
I wanted to stroke it but I already had the rods and pistons when I bought the block and crank. Then when the block got here it was already bored more then the pistons I already had, so I ended up buying custom pistons anyway. Now I have a very nice set of 4.53 srp pistons and total seal rings with no home that have less then 10 hours on them.
I should have bought a dart block, but I had a hardin 10qt pan for a gen 5/6 motor already.
Old 10-03-2009, 08:49 PM
Registered

My cam is really not that big, it is 302/310 advertised duration and 114LSA. It is degreed to 110.5. I have not messed with the carb too much yet, it is a 950 proform body with quick fuel blocks and base.
I could go bigger on the cam with the dry exhaust and I may try it, but you have to pretty much go solid roller and I am not sure if I am ready for that.
I wanted to stroke it but I already had the rods and pistons when I bought the block and crank. Then when the block got here it was already bored more then the pistons I already had, so I ended up buying custom pistons anyway. Now I have a very nice set of 4.53 srp pistons and total seal rings with no home that have less then 10 hours on them.
I should have bought a dart block, but I had a hardin 10qt pan for a gen 5/6 motor already.

I got mine running just before dark and took some great video shots only to find out just a bit ago that my settings were messed up and didn't get any sound. no leaks and everything went pretty well. i'll post some videos with sound tomorrow. i must have a blown power valve though as it seemed very rich and sucked way more gas than what i would consider to be normal. that was even after i adjusted both front and rear float levels. any other ideas on this. the plugs were also pretty black.

i have 800 cfm holley's with 74's in the front and 82's in the rear. this is actually a little leaner than i planned to run however it was what come with the rebuilt carb from barry on the board here. i have another 800 i bought off the board also that i will swap out in the morning as i don't have any new power valves around at the moment and it will be sunday so no parts stores will be open.

any other thoughts on the running rich?

thanks,
john

ps it sucked through 3 gallons of fuel in about 4 to 6 minutes of running time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.