454Mag ignition help >

454Mag ignition help

Notices

454Mag ignition help

Old 09-27-2009, 10:13 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 454Mag ignition help

Hey guys great site I have learned alot so far. I have a 1992 24' outlaw with a 454 mag in it. The ignition went out on me and I found the ignition module to be damaged and full of water, im guessing it slowly entered as condensation. The module is externally mounted to a bracket in back of the distributer. A look inside the distributer shows a mag pickup with relucter wheel and of course the rotor but no advance mechanism. Doing a search for a new module turned up that its not available anymore but the HP500 module looks similar but still costs between $200-$300. So my question is can I just put a MSD 6m-2 box instead of the module? It says it will work with a magnetic pickup distributer but I am worrying that I will have no advance and essential just be locked in to the initial advance I set. Did the old module take care of the advance using a tach signal or was my advance always locked out? Just trying to weigh my options and I appreciate any help given. Thanks!
Old 09-27-2009, 10:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ignition

i have a module off my runnind 454 merc for 100 bucks if intereted mine was exhaust manifold mounted sen me a pic of yours ill match if you are intersted i switched all over to msd with my new build.if you want to run msd box you would be better with a msd dist. also otherwise youll have no advance.with running the if